cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

sway control

SUKISHORT
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Reese Friction sway control. It worked well with my 27 foot TT. My new TT is a 32' Sprinter, I have read that two sway controls are needed for TT over 30' Does anyone have experience with this.
10 REPLIES 10

Airstreamer67
Explorer
Explorer
I believe most of the "sway" being referenced is just describing the effect of large vehicles passing by causing a push-pull effect. This effect is demonstrated when you're parked on the side of an Interstate and feel the passing vehicles go by, especially the big, tall ones.

I've found a second sway bar takes all of this "sway" effect out of the equation. For $50 or so, it's the best bargain of the hobby.

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
AH64ID wrote:
I would take it for a test drive. A properly loaded and balanced trailer doesn't sway, which means there is nothing to control.

x2 times 100

Sway control is not necessary if your rig is set up correctly and your trailer loaded correctly. Sway is most often the result of driver input, bad loading, or just misperception of a trailer doing it's normal thing.

I have never had a sway control apparatus and frankly most of the people I have met out in the "real world" (ie off this site) dont' have them either. When we discuss this we are frankly a bit puzzled by where all this "sway" is coming from....answer; excellent marketing making you believe it a necessary addition for Safety.

There has never been a single third party objective test of any of these systems to determine if they really do what they say they do or if they are indeed needed at all.

Hitch up and pull your trailer under several conditions first experiment with loading and keep your water tanks empty or near empty.

SUKISHORT
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all!

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
nomad297 wrote:
fla-gypsy wrote:
My recommendation is to upgrade to an integrated sway control hitch. Much better performance than friction bars.

I agree.

Bruce

That didn't take long.

dual bars are perfectly fine...$50.00 to add peace of mind...vs $500 for a new hitch. I've owned both and could tell no difference between my dual friction bars and my dual cam sway control.

Load the trailer correctly, set the WD correctly, and add the two bars and things wil be peachy.

JMHO based on experience

thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
fla-gypsy wrote:
My recommendation is to upgrade to an integrated sway control hitch. Much better performance than friction bars.

+2 My TT is 26' and I'm running a Reese DC. Piece of mind.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
fla-gypsy wrote:

I agree.

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

AH64ID
Explorer
Explorer
I would take it for a test drive. A properly loaded and balanced trailer doesn't sway, which means there is nothing to control.
-John

2018 Ram 3500-SRW-4x4-Laramie-CCLB-Aisin-Auto Level-5th Wheel Prep-Titan 55 gal tank-B&W RVK3600

2011 Outdoors RV Wind River 275SBS-some minor mods

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Add the second bar is my recommendation.
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

Buzam
Explorer
Explorer
I added a second friction bar to my 28 foot Dutchmen and it really helped with some of the sway I was getting. Feels solid now. I would say adding a second bar to a trailer that long is a must.
2015 F250 6.2L
2012 Island Trail 275BH