cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mail delivery

JCK
Explorer
Explorer
How do you handle your mail when traveling weeks at a time ? Post offices will only hold mail 30 days. When on the road and only stoping for 2-3 days at a time no way to forward. I dont have any means for a neighbor or relative to collect mail every day. What do fellow campers do ?
Thanks Jeff
2019 GMC Denali 2500 Duramax
2018 Grand Design Imagine 2500 RL
11 REPLIES 11

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
amberfiretj02 wrote:
call the UPS Store periodically and have them send our mail to us at the Campground/RV Park or the closest UPS Store to where we are staying. We've never had an issue.
How did that work when stopping for 2-3 days?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

amberfiretj02
Explorer
Explorer
We also have a UPS box and it has worked well. We are currently full timing, and simply call the UPS Store periodically and have them send our mail to us at the Campground/RV Park or the closest UPS Store to where we are staying. We've never had an issue.

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
We did a six month temporary USPS fowarding to a mail forwarding service. You can terminate anytime you want and extend it for another six months on line.
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

Boxer_Lovers
Explorer
Explorer
We use a UPS mail store. We're full time. Works for us.
Dave, Robin, and Buster the Boxer
2008 Beaver Contessa, 42, Caterpillar 425
Toad 2017 Ram 1500, Quad Cab, Limited, M&G brake, Blue Ox.

longislandcampe
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a mailman by day and a camper by night. Yes, mail is supposed to only be held for 30 days at the post office. If you go down to the post office and speak with the postmaster then they might be able to work with you to extend that but that's a case by case basis and depends on the person.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
JCK wrote:
How do you handle your mail when traveling weeks at a time ? Post offices will only hold mail 30 days. When on the road and only stoping for 2-3 days at a time no way to forward. I dont have any means for a neighbor or relative to collect mail every day. What do fellow campers do ?
Thanks Jeff

get a mail service and forward your mail to them. then with a little planning they will forward to you. with a little planning you can use General Delivery at a post office of uour choosing. we're on a 12-week trip out west and are having our mail forwarded to a local UPS Store and from them to us.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't do anything. I get zero mail of any importance.

sch911 wrote:
Use a forwarding service like Escapees
x2. With no physical forwarding, that's about your only option. They will scan stuff.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
The post office says 30 days but we fill out 2 cards every fall and every spring. We haven't tried 3 yet but 2 months has been no problems. We pay most everything on line and so far remember the once a year ones.

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Step 1: Get rid of all snail mail! Use online billing, statements, and payments for everything.

Step 2: Use a forwarding service like Escapee's, or UPS Stores, etc.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
It depends on how long you'll be gone. Fulltimers usually set up a domicile somewhere (South Dakota seems to be popular) and have their mail delivered to a service. FMCA has a service you can forward your mail to and they scan an image for you to see. so you can decide what to forward and what to trash.

FMCA Serice

UPS has a similar service, and in addition to a mail forwarding service will give you an actual street address instead of a PO box number.

Most campgrounds will accept forwarded mail. It just means that you'll need to be a certain place to set it up.

Try to setup online bill payments. Most everything can be done online. Then you just need to ensure an internet connection periodically.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
Moved from General RVing.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox