cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medical emergencies?

pennysmom09
Explorer
Explorer
I've been wondering (and worrying) about what would happen to our dog if one of us had to go for emergency help while on the road, because of course our first responsibility would be to be there for each other. My DH is 79 in relatively good health, I am a bit younger and healthy, but it is something I wish we had a contingency plan for. Any suggestions from any folks traveling with their pets?
Nancy and Doug
2015 KZ Durango 325RL FW
20 REPLIES 20

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
penny thats a great idea. all pet owners should do this.

pennysmom09
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks LadyRVer, yes, I can see myself in that situation.
Nancy and Doug
2015 KZ Durango 325RL FW

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
My late husband fell and broke his nose in 3 places in a vet's office, while there on an emergency with a cocker with cong. heart failure. Took dh by ambulance to hospital (was 350 miles from home.) I followed in car with cocker (under vet's care for the week.) In/out of ER with hubs and checking on dog. Then, when under control at the hospital, I went back to motorhome,
got it unhooked and used it to go back to hospital. Did that daily for 3 days, 30 minutes with dh, 2 hours w/ cocker, 30 minutes with dh, 2 hours w/cocker. We do what we have to do. Took motorhome back to campground in evening and connected it back up.

Now that I am alone traveling with another cocker, I have a card in my billfold, with dog info and please take to nearest vet if I am incapacitated. I will be responsible for charges.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Unless you have family, or friends close enough, and familiar with your pet, it is not going to be a good experience. My little one, pictured on sig page, is so attached to me, that I don't think she'd survive long term. I would feel better having my wife be there for her, rather than be with me. The longest mine has been separated from me is 4 days, and that was at home, with my wife. I won't go into it, but even that did not go well.

Every ones pet, and separation anxieties may be different, so what works great for some families, may not work for you. The more attention your pet gets from you, the harder the separation is for them.

Sorry, no easy answer, but many of us worry about the same issue.

Jerry

pennysmom09
Explorer
Explorer
How ironic! Yes, we had a similar situation while camping in Tucson and fellow campers helped. I'm referring to out on the road. If it was a life threatening situation and we both had to rush to the hospital, what would happen then? I guess I'll have to hope and pray it never happens!
Nancy and Doug
2015 KZ Durango 325RL FW

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
My DH had a medical emergency while we were camped in Tucson and went by ambulance to the hospital. A lady I had met earlier offered to help in any way. I took her phone number and told her if we weren't home and I needed her to let our dog out I would call and tell her where to find a key. As it was, I didn't need her.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/