cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mexican dentists

Lipets
Explorer
Explorer
Going to be in south Texas in Aug and was thinking about having some dental work done there.

I see the area across Weslaco has like 100 dentists.

Any recommendations?

Or other info.
Newmar 3933
41 REPLIES 41

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
I had dental work done in Algodones (near Yuma, AZ). They ruined all of my top, left molars. At least they were "nice" enough to refund my money. I don't think I'll ever return to a Mexican dentist, even though they're priced right. I'd rather have an American dentist rip me off as long as the job is done right.

What they did wrong: they assigned a denture maker to crown several lower teeth. They admitted their "bad" but it was impossible to fix the damage caused by him.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
It's been several months since my last post and I recently went back to Nogales for more dental work. After a cleaning was done here in Tucson they recommended 4 fillings and a crown with the estimated bill being just under $2,000. I went to my Mexican dentist who found I actually needed 8 fillings and two crowns.

After taking the full mouth x rays he took detailed pictures of my teeth showing me precisely {on the computer}, what was needed and explaining why. It is a 2 hour 100+ mile ride to get there so I just told him to do it all. Four hours later he completed the eight fillings {several were very minor}, and the two temporary crowns sending the molds off to the dental lab for the permanent crowns.

Being twice the work the Tucson dentist recommended it would have certainly been twice the price, as in around $4,000. The bill in Nogales, including my return visit to have the permanent crowns put in, came to $1,350. A crown in Tucson is $1,350 vs $440 in Nogales. Fillings in Nogales are $50 to $60 vs $200 to $270.

Unrelated to the fillings and crowns I need oral surgery to treat some gum disease issues and will be going in for that in a couple of days. My Tucson dentist referred me to a periodontal surgeon and she conducted a full pre-surgical exam with another set of x rays the day after I returned from Nogales. She said that all of the work that I had done in Mexico was excellent.

Yes, I could have the surgery done in Mexico and would again probably save thousands but the logistics of getting there and back make it next to impossible. Following the surgery, I will be barely conscious and need to get right home and horizontal. While it is a short 2 block walk back to the border, crossing can take 5 minutes up to several hours followed by a 4 block walk back to the secure parking on the US side with the two-hour drive back home. It could/would be next to impossible for my bride to get me back home {in my post-surgical condition}, from the Nogales office.

I saved enough on this last trip to Nogales to pay more than half of the {$4,300 cost}, of the oral surgery. Once the surgery is completed I will return to Nogales for my permanent crowns and will finally be done. Not looking forward to the surgery but it needs doing... wish me luck.

:C

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
OP, I just joined this conversation and when someone tells you "my friend had this or that done and liked it or hated it" just pass it by as the post is neither accurate or helpful. I have had nothing but good luck with Mexican dentist for a great price.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"First photo shows he uses a water bottle for drain collection."

Sorry but that "drain collection" is where they get the water to spray out your mouth! Did you see cases of bottled water there or do they just refill that one???

Ya see it's all in the details.

Lol. Even the dentist won't drink the water there!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"First photo shows he uses a water bottle for drain collection."

Sorry but that "drain collection" is where they get the water to spray out your mouth! Did you see cases of bottled water there or do they just refill that one???

Ya see it's all in the details.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lots of nonsense on this topic... as usual. Unless you have first hand experience with a Mexican dentist your opinion is worth squat. Stories of others.... I heard about this guy that {blah blah blah}, may or may not have a grain of truth to them. I have heard lots of horror stories about US dentists, my wife was ripped off big time by a clown in Tucson but I won't disparage all as most are excellent.

This is just as true in Mexico. I have been to Nogales three times with excellent results every time. Costs are approximately 70 per cent less than in the US {where most Mexican dentists got their training}. My 3 tooth bridge with a root canal would have been something north of $4,000 in Tucson but cost me $1,218 in Nogales. Several US dentists have examined it and all agreed it was a a nice piece dental work. Two small fillings set me back $80, took 30 minutes and did not even require a shot - did not feel a thing. again US dentists {that I still use for simple cleanings}, all agree the work was excellent.

If you have no insurance or an abundance of cash going to Mexico is a low cost viable alternative to learning to gum your food.

:C

Barbilou_and_Fu
Explorer
Explorer
Just found this thread and have to share. We no longer RV, so I don't read the forum often. We live in Kino Bay Mexico winters, Minnesota summers.
My husband's original dentures were VA made, never fit well. He only used them to eat crunchy stuff.
November 2016 he fainted, fell on his face, broke everything. Dentures in smithereens.
VA Tucson so backed up, he still didn't have new dentures by mid-March, as all appointments are at least a month apart.
Decided to bite the bullet, went to local dentist in Kino Bay. New dentures in one week for $520.They fit perfectly and look great. He takes credit cards, speaks English. Plus the dentist is a hottie! Dr. Lucio Alberto Coronel Zamoran
Office was clean, well-appointed. First photo shows he uses a water bottle for drain collection.

Casita (made of straw bales!) in Dos Palmas near Kino Bay

webslave
Explorer
Explorer
John&Joey wrote:
2oldman wrote:
webslave wrote:
My dentist in the U.S. charged me $2200 for a set that I couldn't wear due to the pain and lacerations they caused. I fought with him for a year and finally gave up.
That's not a good dentist.. or denture maker. Somebody should have seen that they fit. Wasn't there a review board or something you could have gone to?...

Yup, doesn't pass the sniff test does it.

That dentist is my old family dentist...been going to him for over thirty years, but, in his old age he has changed, we all do. When we retired, we move ed 2.5 hours away, but, until that episode, the wife and I always made the trip to use his services. As already mentioned, there is very little recourse, short of legal action, if a dentist digs in his heels once he has your money. I did check and a civil suit would cost more than the money I was out and my wife, who still has her teeth still likes going to him and I won't jeopardize her relationship with him.

I can easily afford a US dentist, but, why spend four times as much? I didn't get to where we are today by wasting my money...I will gladly pay for quality, but, for a perfect fitting pair of dentures, which would you rather pay, $2200 or $500?

I've found a perfect replacement for his services in Nogales and since we spend our winters in Benson, she is only 45 minutes away...closer, better, and much cheaper and I can get the Tequila for substantially less.
My 2 cents, your mileage may vary...

Don
Bronwyn
Down to 1 kitty...J-Lo, the princess

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX
2015 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk Towed

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Cloud Dancer wrote:
...Speaking for myself, one of these days I'm going go stay in Weslaco TX for the purpose of crossing the border and visiting some clinics (research)...

That is so easy to do, plus you'll enjoy your time on both sides of the boarder. An 'ol FT'er like you will make short work of it. I37 to Hwy 77. Fuel up around CC if you can, and then make a nostop run down to the RGV.

FWIW, I don't have insurance either, just self insured. I've heard of some that will pick up insurance, get work done, then drop the insurance after that. All in the US.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Cloud Dancer wrote:
It's hard to understand that there are thousands of people who can NOT afford the best healthcare. Perhaps, that's the main reason some of us have to seek affordable dental work. All we can do is search for the information that's available so that we can choose a suitable clinic and a dentist.
Speaking for myself, one of these days I'm going go stay in Weslaco TX for the purpose of crossing the border and visiting some clinics (research).
I need a few implants.

Me too on all points.
I'll be going to Mexico for some dental work with the blessing of my 'born in the USA" NYC dentist. She actually went over the credentials of the list of Mexican dentists I presented her with and found a classmate on it. He wasn't her first choice but did make it into the top 3.

Medical tourism has been around for decades.

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Absolutely, some of us bought toys when we should've invested the money on real estate. If I had to do it over again, ........(it ain't going to happen).
Now, I gotta pay for my poor planning PLUS get my teeth fixed. Dilemma
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
It's likely that some actually cannot afford the best healthcare. And then there are people who can, but would rather spend the money on RV's and boats. It's all in your priorities. Some put healthcare ahead of toys.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's hard to understand that there are thousands of people who can NOT afford the best healthcare. Perhaps, that's the main reason some of us have to seek affordable dental work. All we can do is search for the information that's available so that we can choose a suitable clinic and a dentist.
Speaking for myself, one of these days I'm going go stay in Weslaco TX for the purpose of crossing the border and visiting some clinics (research).
I need a few implants.
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
Just look at the side walks and it will be a clue of quality.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110