cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mods Needed to Tow Four Down

HardyC
Explorer
Explorer
As a novice at towing a vehicle behind an RV, and as I embark on modifying my intended tow vehicle - a 2003 Ford Explorer 4WD - I'd appreciate feedback as to exactly what I should expect to have to purchase and in general be doing to get it set up and ready to tow... hitch, stabilizers, brake assist (if) required, road debris screen, etc. I will then seek quotes from local vendors who provide that service. Thank you!
Hardy Childers
2008 Vista Cruiser Mini 8231
5 REPLIES 5

HardyC
Explorer
Explorer
It is an automatic. I had a local mechanic install the LED light indicating when in tow position and he was also able to do the programming... walked through the multi-step process to put in neutral and it works like a charm. I'm still undecided as to whether to tow it or go another route, e.g., tow our Prius on a dolly. I'm seeing $3-3500 to set up for towing four down and it may well be too heavy. I've read all the manuals. The weight information provided by the RV manufacturer isn't thorough enough and they're unresponsive.
Hardy Childers
2008 Vista Cruiser Mini 8231

Loren_Ross
Explorer
Explorer
If it is an automatic transmission, you'll need to install a Neutral Tow Kit. The dealer can sell you one for $249 with installation extra. I can give you the instructions and you can make your own for less than $10, but you'll still have to go to a dealer and have the computer programmed. That might cost upwards of $199...

I personally prefer the Roadmaster base plate and the Roadmaster all terrain tow bar for my Explorer. Took me all of 2 hours to install them, and been towing for 4 years now with no problems. I also use a Roadmaster Even Brake system which works extremely well. I installed diodes in my lights and use the vehicle lights for brake/tail lights. I've not purchased a bug/rock shield so I can't attest to those.

Good luck, and if you need the Neutral Tow Kit, you can Email me at ross0737 at aol dot com.
Loren

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
HardyC wrote:
As a novice at towing a vehicle behind an RV, and as I embark on modifying my intended tow vehicle - a 2003 Ford Explorer 4WD - I'd appreciate feedback as to exactly what I should expect to have to purchase and in general be doing to get it set up and ready to tow... hitch, stabilizers, brake assist (if) required, road debris screen, etc. I will then seek quotes from local vendors who provide that service. Thank you!

DUPlicate
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
HardyC wrote:

May we assume it is a standard shift and not an automatic Transmission?
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
have you checked the owner's manual for instructions on how to tow it 4 down? I wouldn't tow anything without a braking and break away system. use a tow bar that stays on the rear of the motorhome, and has levers to release it. I use an Aventa II with a brake buddy. I used separate tail lights, magnetic or other, as I didn't want to cut into existing toad wiring.
bumpy