cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motorcycle trailer

AnFear
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, looking for some quick advice. I plan on reading through these post when I get some time.
Looking to buy a trailer tomorrow. Looking at a 5x8 enclosed motorcycle trailer. Will be pulling it with a 2002 Roadtrek 190. Dodge with the 318. Motorcycle weighs 465lbs. Will also be carrying some tools. Maybe a small air compressor. Likely will add a house battery and possibly a solar panel in the future. I realize it's hard to give any advice without providing any weights but hoping someone can help with some quick general advice.
Thanks.
20 REPLIES 20

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Spend the extra money and get a trailer that has torsion axle suspension. Cargo rides smoother, and doesn't get bounced around like can happen in a lightly loaded leaf spring trailer.

5x8 will be a nuisance to back up because it's short and will jackknife in a heartbeat, and because it's narrow and you won't see it in the mirrors until it starts to jackknife

6x10 might be a better option.

5' wide doesn't leave much room for cargo around the bike.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

AnFear
Explorer
Explorer
The one I'm was looking at is a V nose. I figure it will give me a little extra room and there's space for the wheel chock i'm going to use. Didn't know if it would help with gas mileage but figured it would't make it worse. Trailer has leaf spring suspension. Has a rear ramp door for loading and unloading as well as built in jacks at the back corners to stabilize it so I don't have to worry about the hitch supporting it when loading the bike.
I saw something about stabilizing hitches in some other posts in this section, but a quick read looks like that would be over kill for what I'm trying to do. Can add that later anyway.
I just asked here in case I was missing anything big before I buy it.
Thanks for the help.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Chuck_thehammer wrote:
"V" noise trailer do NOT give better gas mileage, just more storage.

You think you know that.....how exactly ??

To the OP:
What kind of advice are you looking for ?
My general offerings:
Be SURE that your bike will fit. Measure, don't assume.

Be sure that you can ride the bike on and off without taking your head off. Standard height for many smaller trailers won't work. Along with that, get an auto-latching front tire bracket.

Load and unload the bike only where VERY level. Nose down too much and you can't get it out by yourself. Nose up too much and it won't stay "locked" into the mount so you can get off the bike without it rolling back.

Don't get cheap with tie-down straps. Spend a couple of extra bucks and get ones that are really heavy duty and are easy to operate.

Check the straps at EVERY stop.

If you haven't backed a trailer before, find an empty lot and practice. Going straight and even tight corners aren't bad if you have a long enough ball mount but you can easily jack-knife one going backwards and make a real mess.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
"V" noise trailer do NOT give better gas mileage, just more storage.

construction is key.. like an RV.. good, better, Best...

Brakes are nice if available. maybe limited on a 10 foot unit.

Height is nice if you are TALL... but reduces gas mileage.. same with Width.

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
I had a Hallmark 5x10 fully enclosed with a ramp and tie downs inside. It was tall enough to stand up in. I rode it in. Worked great for at least 10K miles. Hardly knew it was back there
samsontdog:o:W

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
years back I saw a fiberglass streamlined, sort of eggish, trailer specifically for motorcycles that was sort of lightly sprung, IIRC, that would not jar your hogs around. not your standard Uhaul type.
looked great.
bumpy