cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need Advice - ISO Handicapped RV to grant Dad's final wish

NeedtorentRV
Explorer
Explorer
I am trying to find a handicapped accessible RV to borrow / rent in / near Ashburn, VA (near Washington Dulles Airport). We would be driving to the Outer Banks, NC and staying in a hotel and then driving back to VA. Hospice is supplying the hospital bed for the hotel. Travel dates are May 17 - 26, 2017. It is a final trip request for my Dad in home hospice. It is for a family reunion and to meet his youngest great-grandchild. The reunion is in NC because my brother-in-law was diagnosed with stage 3 lung cancer and cannot travel. The doctor said that this method of travel is the only way my Dad can attend as he is now very weak and on oxygen. He would be able to be wheeled into the RV, and then transferred to a comfortable chair where he can recline for the trip. He is a veteran, and, Good Lord willing, will be 92 in July. Any advice or assistance you can give would be appreciated. I know it is short notice, and I apologize. I can be reached at jmstirling@hotmail.com. Thank you and have a blessed day.
8 REPLIES 8

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
You might contact your states AngelFlight organization & someone would fly him both ways. There also is a gruop of pilots that also do this for Vets, Veterans Airlift Command I think is name but not sure.

Matt_Colie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Needs,

I going to suggest that you contact FMCA. In a recent issue of their magazine they covered handicap accessible coaches. There may be a contact there that could be of help. Were I at home, I could look this up, but that won't be for a while.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
That's a relatively short move, ambulance or ambulance van should work. There are very few "accessible" RVs, particularly if you are talking about litter patients, and ambulances have the litter handling capability and have life support systems you will find in no rental RV.

I've been through this 2011-2014 with the loss of five family members in three years, trying to make these last minute connections. When my wife was terminal, we chose not to move her, opening our home hospice to anyone who cared enough to visit. We did not try to move her around, because any movement was painful and shortened her life.

My brother was in a similar condition when he finally accepted that he was terminal, and he chose to try move from his Florida estate to go into hospice in Michigan, where his mother and three sisters could care for him, hiring air ambulance ($45,000) for the move. He did not survive the flight. We put a physician family member on the flight with him, that meant only he had someone in family to be with him when he died.

What you can try will depend on yor financial resources, but for a fragile terminal patient, I would not be looking for a RV, rather something more like med-evac.

For what it is worth, I am pretty sure there is no such thing on the market as a RV that meets ISO standards for medical evacuation.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

rjf7g
Explorer
Explorer
I rented an handicap transport van to bring my Mom home from the skilled nursing facility.
1999 American Cruiser Class B
2006 Palomino Puma 27FQ Bunkhouse
2007 Gulfstream Innsbruck 36FRS Park Trailer

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
It's probably not inexpensive but, how about something like Non-emergency Medical Transport?

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
NeedtorentRV wrote:
I am trying to find a handicapped accessible RV to borrow / rent in / near Ashburn, VA (near Washington Dulles Airport). We would be driving to the Outer Banks, NC and staying in a hotel and then driving back to VA. Hospice is supplying the hospital bed for the hotel. Travel dates are May 17 - 26, 2017. It is a final trip request for my Dad in home hospice. It is for a family reunion and to meet his youngest great-grandchild. The reunion is in NC because my brother-in-law was diagnosed with stage 3 lung cancer and cannot travel. The doctor said that this method of travel is the only way my Dad can attend as he is now very weak and on oxygen. He would be able to be wheeled into the RV, and then transferred to a comfortable chair where he can recline for the trip. He is a veteran, and, Good Lord willing, will be 92 in July. Any advice or assistance you can give would be appreciated. I know it is short notice, and I apologize. I can be reached at jmstirling@hotmail.com. Thank you and have a blessed day.

Have no info about this company but found this listing via Google:

https://www.vrbo.com/751716
Traveling to DC this spring with my 93 y/o mother and yes it does require extra effort and thought but aren't they worth it?:).

Have you also considered a med-evac to a central location and allow the family member undergoing cancer treatment to communicate via Skype or similar?

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
Have you thought about renting a wheelchair van? Might be easier than renting a RV. Wheelchair Van rentals
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
" Handicapped accessible RV?" Not sure I've ever seen one for rent and only one or two privately owned. Toy hauler MH might work.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad