Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Tires for Tow Vehicle

Deano_1
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Guys,

Looking replace the stock tires on my 2014 Expedition EL XLT. The stock tires are P275/65 R18. I tow a 26 foot camper, with most of my towing within a few hundred miles. I live in upstate NY so we deal with snow and ice. Next summer we plan to drive cross county (not towing) so I would like an all around tire that might help with the mileage. I have been looking at the Michelin LTX A/T 2, LTX M/S and the LTX A/S but I honestly don't know the real difference between them.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Deano
18 REPLIES 18

Deano_1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys, I found a dencent price for the Goodyear Wrangler with Kevlar. I will check out reviews on those!

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
check out https://www.tirerack.com/tires/michelin-tires.jsp.

The LTX AT 2 is a all terrain (AT) type tread and may be a bit noisy compared to a all season type tread. It has a good performance rating.

The LTX M/S is a all season (AS) and shows to have a very good performance rating. The tread should be a bit quieter.

The LTX AS is a all season tire. Tirerack shows to have a very poor performance rating from customers.

Check the reviews and pay attention to vehicles the same size of yours....and also from the same region you live and drive in. Use Michelins 1-800 number for their input.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
Consider the Goodyear All terrain adventure with Kevlar, Nitto exo grappler, or BFG All Terrain. These tires are rated for extreme snow and you should be able to find a suitable LT tire for trailering.

The difference between the tires you are looking at is tread design for use in surfaces other than pavement. The a/s is an all season and the other claims to be an all terrain.

Tires are the most important thing on your truck. They should be selected for maximum traction, not mileage. This isn't a Prius.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Go to Michelin's website or to Tirerack and read the descriptions. I doubt there will be much difference in fuel mileage, but better snow traction will take away some mileage.