cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Trailer Axle

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
In addition to my submission on 6 Jul, Trailer Quality Control, I had one thing left nagging at me, the bearings. I assumed that the Dexter axle would come pre lubed from the factory, bad assumption. So, Jack up the trailer, pull the hubs and sure thing, there wasn't enough grease in there to fry 2 ants in a thimble. I'm surprised they didn't go up in smoke on the 40 mile ride home and come to a screeching stop. Anyway, the effort was made, now they are properly greased and should be good. Moral of the story for any buyers, do yourself the favor and avert a possible breakdown or worse and don't ever trust the trailer service center that it was checked or done on the PDI. Lazy cretins.
4 REPLIES 4

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lynnmor wrote:
I've said it before, but I'll say it again. Never put any trailer, new or used, in service till the hubs are serviced.

Good tip. Dealer that sold us ours, that is part of their inspection criteria.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I've said it before, but I'll say it again. Never put any trailer, new or used, in service till the hubs are serviced.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I've purchased many new trailers, not all RVs, but in most all of them, minimal grease, a few just adequate grease, and only remember one well greased. By minimal, looked like grease from finger tip, was wiped all round outside rollers, not packed.

Jerry

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
I agree that trailer wheel bearings are sometimes poorly lubed and assembled. Lately the EZ Lube "feature" gets the blame when the problem started at the assembly line. It's hard to believe that it would be wise to pull a brand new trailer wheel assembly apart to ensure that it is adequately greased.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"