Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

No brake or external lights

newtorving70
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

We are new to RVing and so far it has been a little hectic. The pigtail was severed while turning around, no biggie, the wires were spliced back together and everything was working fine. I hooked up to it this morning and had no brake or driving lights. All the fuses and splice job looks good. Anyone have any ideas on why all of a sudden the brake lights are inoperable? Thank you in advance for any input.
12 REPLIES 12

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
RoyB wrote:
I use one these TEST PLUGS at the truck side to determine if my problems are with the trailer (wiring) or the truck (blown fuses etc)... Keeps me from having to runaround in circles for an hour or two testing things...

I carry both the 7-way and the 4-pin TEST Adapters... I got mine from AMAZON but ETRAILER.com and many local auto parts places may carry them as well...

I would only repair a damaged trailer cable to get back home on and then order a complete exact replacement from AMAZON or ETRAILER. SAFETY LIGHT and TRAILER BRAKES are high on my function list. My truck has three different locations for FUSES...

We found out right away anytime you leave your house you have to start accounting for all of the PLAN Bs... The really good guys always has a great PLAN-B already figured out...

Roy Ken

Me too. But I bought this one because it has both 7 pin and 4 pin on the same tester.

Northern Tools 7pin/4pin tester

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Umbilical pinched or cut while connected to a Ford. Check for blown fuses at vehicle's inside fuse panel. Your owner's manual should list the fuse locations for trailer lights.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Ozlander
Explorer
Explorer
No lights sounds like a ground problem. Play with the plug, maybe spray it with WD-40.
Check the ground on the frame.
Ozlander

06 Yukon XL
2001 Trail-Lite 7253

newtorving70
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the info. I will buy a new pig tail this afternoon. Will post remedy once found, thanks again.

Kit_Carson
Explorer
Explorer
Check for bad ground.
KIT CARSON
GOOD SAM LIFE MEMBER
USAF VETERAN
ARS: KE5VLE
NORTHWEST LOUISIANA

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Many Fords have the fuses for the trailer connector. Look in the owner's manual for location.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use one these TEST PLUGS at the truck side to determine if my problems are with the trailer (wiring) or the truck (blown fuses etc)... Keeps me from having to runaround in circles for an hour or two testing things...

I carry both the 7-way and the 4-pin TEST Adapters... I got mine from AMAZON but ETRAILER.com and many local auto parts places may carry them as well...

I would only repair a damaged trailer cable to get back home on and then order a complete exact replacement from AMAZON or ETRAILER. SAFETY LIGHT and TRAILER BRAKES are high on my function list. My truck has three different locations for FUSES...

We found out right away anytime you leave your house you have to start accounting for all of the PLAN Bs... The really good guys always has a great PLAN-B already figured out...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

newtorving70
Explorer
Explorer
The same tow vehicle is being used, 2006 Ford Expedition. All brake lights and turn signals are working on the truck. I really appreciate all the info.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
get a test meter start at the truck, on these newer trucks there some times more than one fuse.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Some tow vehicles have fuses to protect the trailer connector.
Make and model of tow vehicle?
There also could be unseen or repaired damage at the splice location.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

newtorving70
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Rocky, I'm beginning to believe I need to buy a spare everything.

rockylarson
Explorer
Explorer
Perhaps when the cable severed it stressed the connections at one or both ends. Borrow or buy another cable and see if that works. If so you can repair the original and keep it as a spare. BTDT Good Luck
Jan and Rocky
Volunteers for USFWS. 29 refuges with 9300 hrs ea since 2006. 2004 Allegro 30DA, Workhorse 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty Jet, Blue Ox Aladdin, Brake Buddy Advantage Select, 300 watts solar, 5 Optima group 31 AGM's, 2000watt Ames PSW inverter.