cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

no RV parking

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
For furniture moving related reasons, I moved my motorhome to the street yesterday at 1p. I got home from work at 4p, and had a nice (not so much) warning from the police that I was in violation of the law stuck under my windshield. No ticket, just a heads up warning for now I guess... I looked the law up today (not realizing we had such a strict law in our city) and it certainly does appear that as of last year it is literally illegal to park an RV on city streets!

If you go by the letter of the law, I could get a ticket for going to the local 7/11 for a coke on the way out of town. Even if I do have a temporary one day permit for parking in front of my own house! Seems crazy.

Anyway, they are requiring residents to apply for a one day permit every time you want to park on the street to load/unload. This seems ludicrous to me, an extreme overreaction by city council to a problem of a few people living in ratty old motorhomes down by the marsh.

The old law was that we could park on the street for 72 hours. I guess the (extremely few) vagrant types were just moving to a different spot every few days, so now we all get this.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v
72 REPLIES 72

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
mt1729 wrote:
The only way to get rid of these kinds of horse **** laws is to quit voting your rights away. Vote for council men and women that aren't a bunch of snobs and have some common sense. As far as hoa's, you give up so many rights that you no longer own your own home. Can't plant a tree in your back yard or have to paint your house a certain color, have to build a certain kind of fence, can't have any fence, can't have a pet, can't have a lawn or you have to have a lawn but has to be a certain kind grass, can't have more than 1 vehicle parked in your driveway. It goes on & on. Where do you draw the line. I guess there is still too much farm boy in me to live this way. There are way more important things going on in this world then to be passing laws that keeps a homeowner from parking their RV in front of their own home. I am really thankful I don't live in that kind of environment. Maybe some of it is people are really cheap and worry that the value of their property will go down. I value my rights far more than a few bucks. You see RVs on the road everyday that are worth far more than a lot of houses. Maybe we should pass a law forcing homeowners to upgrade their homes to the point that a Provoast owner won't be ashamed to park his unit in front it. Absolutely unbelievable!!
I could not have said it better myself. Although I'm not a farm boy, I value my rights. If living in tightly controlled environment with hoa's is your thing power to you, just not my thing.

mt1729
Explorer
Explorer
The only way to get rid of these kinds of horse **** laws is to quit voting your rights away. Vote for council men and women that aren't a bunch of snobs and have some common sense. As far as hoa's, you give up so many rights that you no longer own your own home. Can't plant a tree in your back yard or have to paint your house a certain color, have to build a certain kind of fence, can't have any fence, can't have a pet, can't have a lawn or you have to have a lawn but has to be a certain kind grass, can't have more than 1 vehicle parked in your driveway. It goes on & on. Where do you draw the line. I guess there is still too much farm boy in me to live this way. There are way more important things going on in this world then to be passing laws that keeps a homeowner from parking their RV in front of their own home. I am really thankful I don't live in that kind of environment. Maybe some of it is people are really cheap and worry that the value of their property will go down. I value my rights far more than a few bucks. You see RVs on the road everyday that are worth far more than a lot of houses. Maybe we should pass a law forcing homeowners to upgrade their homes to the point that a Provoast owner won't be ashamed to park his unit in front it. Absolutely unbelievable!!
Moose

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
Laws are made for the lawless. The more lawless the more laws.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
In other words, it's not the "time out" generation, it's the "old man syndrome". ๐Ÿ™‚
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
azrving wrote:
JAC1982 wrote:
I'm the President of my HOA (specifically to make sure it doesn't overreach when it comes to rules), and even though our rules about RV parking are pretty lenient for the area (we just require that it be parked behind the fence, not in the driveway, and we are all on 1 acre+ so everyone's got the space), there's still so many people that think the rules don't apply to them. Our #1 violation is people who insist on parking their stuff in the driveway... and no not just for a day or two, but permanently. It's pretty darn frustrating because all we're trying to do is keep the neighborhood looking nice to keep our property values up. Most of the surrounding neighborhoods require RVs etc to be inside a garage/building.

Those are the people who grew up getting time out vs some of us who grew up with a somewhat more convincing way of learning. I've been in an HOA and signed papers that acknowledged that we signed papers agreeing to the rules. Some don't think they have to comply after signing. They are special, mom said so over and over.

What's sad is, it's mostly older people! And the neighborhood is only a few years old with all the rules posted on a website in addition to them signing something they received them, but still... we get the "Oh I didn't know" or "that rule is dumb so I don't have to follow it" so many times.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
JAC1982 wrote:
I'm the President of my HOA (specifically to make sure it doesn't overreach when it comes to rules), and even though our rules about RV parking are pretty lenient for the area (we just require that it be parked behind the fence, not in the driveway, and we are all on 1 acre+ so everyone's got the space), there's still so many people that think the rules don't apply to them. Our #1 violation is people who insist on parking their stuff in the driveway... and no not just for a day or two, but permanently. It's pretty darn frustrating because all we're trying to do is keep the neighborhood looking nice to keep our property values up. Most of the surrounding neighborhoods require RVs etc to be inside a garage/building.

Those are the people who grew up getting time out vs some of us who grew up with a somewhat more convincing way of learning. I've been in an HOA and signed papers that acknowledged that we signed papers agreeing to the rules. Some don't think they have to comply after signing. They are special, mom said so over and over.

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
For me, when looking at a neighborhood to move in to, I would see a bunch of RVs and boats and such as a positive - means that the folks there are out doing things instead of spying on their neighbors...

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
gemsworld wrote:
HOA rules and seemingly stringent municipal RV parking regulations rub a lot of people the wrong way in this forum, but I'm glad they exist. Without some sort of restrictions, some neighborhoods would look like **** with all kinds of RVs and boats parked/stored in the streets or in front of homes.

As RVers, we must remember not everyone shares in our passion. Most people, and rightly so, view RVs as hulking eyesores. I'm currently living in a community with very restrictive HOA rules, including some rules that are petty and annoying at times. Driving through parts of town without HOAs makes me appreciate what I have.

Not sure why some areas of the country needs HOAs to keep them looking nice. We have no HOA, and I would say at least 1/4 of the households have a boat, rv, or trailer of some sort. None of them, none, park their stuff on the road. It's always on the side of the house.

This is typical of all the neighborhoods we looked in when buying this house.

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer
gemsworld wrote:
HOA rules and seemingly stringent municipal RV parking regulations rub a lot of people the wrong way in this forum, but I'm glad they exist. Without some sort of restrictions, some neighborhoods would look like **** with all kinds of RVs and boats parked/stored in the streets or in front of homes.

As RVers, we must remember not everyone shares in our passion. Most people, and rightly so, view RVs as hulking eyesores. I'm currently living in a community with very restrictive HOA rules, including some rules that are petty and annoying at times. Driving through parts of town without HOAs makes me appreciate what I have.
+100

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
camperdave wrote:
toedtoes wrote:

And really, next time you drive through, count the financial institutions in Novato.

just don't try to go to one, cause it'll be illegal to park there lol.

Actually, if I read it right it's only public parking lots that require a permit. So I guess if the parking lot is owned by the bank, I can park there without a permit. ๐Ÿ™‚

Either way, I have to reconsider visiting family there with my clipper...

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:

And really, next time you drive through, count the financial institutions in Novato.

just don't try to go to one, cause it'll be illegal to park there lol.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

Community Alumni
Not applicable

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
I grew up in Novato. As mentioned above, they are the red headed step child of Marin County. They really are more like Petaluma and Sonoma County outside of their desire to be "Marinites".

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ski Pro 3 wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
mowermech wrote:
The Lane where we live is a private road. The property lines are along side the lane. there is no HOA, and very few CCRs. Of course, with no HOA, there is no one to enforce the CCRs.
We are free to do whatever we want with our land, as long as we comply with the County rules regarding trash and weeds.
Oh, yeah, we can't have goats, according to the CCRs. But, with no enforcement, it doesn't matter...
Those are some of the reasons we bought the place!

Until someone else moves in and hates your goats and raises a fuss. Then the police will fine you for violating the CCRS even without an HOA. That has happened in many many places.

Not in California. CC&R's are enforceable by HOA, not LEO's. The rules are not laws and as such, the HOA must issue the citation in order for a court judge to recognize the violation. No HOA to plaintive, if a judge ever did get a case, they'd have to rule for the defendant.

Except, the community can reestablish an HOA. I've seen it happen. Where there is a will there's a way, so to speak.