cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

OK, so I weighed today - considering 5th wheel

DwnSth
Explorer
Explorer
So the F150 full tank and wife and I, ice chest and our typical load of a few other things as if we were traveling:

-------GAWR-----Scale--Diff
Front..4050.....3700....350
Rear...4800.....2880...1920
-------GVWR
Total..8200.....6580...1620

The front actually was a bit surprising but I've heard the ecoboost is heavy.

Looking at a couple of 'light' 5th wheels with dry pin weight between 1150 and 1300. Since I have no idea what the pin wt. will actually be off the lot I'm adding 150 for propane and batteries then adding our what we think our typical load might add to the pin so about 200 additional lbs. on the pin. The 1150 pin becomes 1500 for our 'start' weight.

What I don't want to do is be afraid to load a 5 gallon gas can in bed of truck or bring my small Yamaha generator when I do need it. If I where to go 100 or 150 lbs. over GVWR on some trips for whatever reason, will the additional axel capacity be sufficient? We typically travel light anyway from years of pop-ups and small TT, I don't want to micromanage weight and have to leave a pack of ham behind because it put me 2 oz. over GVWR.
2014 Berkshire 360QL
22 REPLIES 22

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
On bed length, one way to overcome this is to remove the plywood over the under-bed storage and install a piece 5 inches longer or whatever you need/want. Then get a full length foam topper mattress and cut it to length. Won't matter if the plywood overhangs a few inches over the end of the bed frame. Bottom sheet doesn't need to be an exact fit.

Will only work of course if the TT layout has enough clearance at the foot of the bed or entry to the bedroom on either side of TT.

This *could* open up the possibilities for finding a TT.

The other good thing as of late is all the units that are coming out with arched ceilings. Great for taller people.

DwnSth
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the great advice and posts. We're looking closely at a couple of 5th's and TT's this weekend. May not make a decision yet and may wait a bit to see if there is anything new to look at in the 2015's. Have trips planned in April and May, both at Nat. Parks and the sites I have are very size limited. I guess if we find 'the one' I'll try to adjust the sites - but they are our hand picked 'perfect' spots. Ahh, the trade offs of RV ownership! ๐Ÿ™‚
2014 Berkshire 360QL

Blizardj
Explorer
Explorer
Look at Open Range Lights.

Pin weights start at 1075#.

John

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
op says wrote:
Not trying to Justify my weights and the 5th wheel, we're looking at some TT's also. Just want opinions on occasionally being over GVWR.

Your to be commended for finding your trucks separate front and rear axle weights. Too many new folks simply weigh the trucks gross and have no idea about their separate axle/tire loads.

GVWR isn't used in any legal sense for how much load any truck can carry. I would be concerned about staying within any truck RAWR/tire and wheel capacities for carrying hitch loads from a trailer.

The trucks frame strength is rated the same or higher than the sum of the axle ratings.
The trucks total braking performance is the sum of the axle rating which would be 4800 + 4050 = 8850 lbs of braking performance in your case.

Use those GAWRs as its safe and besides you payed for them .... so use them.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

mdamerell
Explorer
Explorer
Be cautious about trying to load up the rear to reduce pin weight. There is a certain amount of pin weight required to keep the trailer from "Porpoiseing" as you go down the road.
2012 Sundance 3100RB w/Reese Goose Box
2004 Ford F350 6.0 L PSD, CC, DRW, long bed, B&W drop ball hitch, Firestone Ride-rite air bags.

Buck50HD
Explorer
Explorer
My truck is identical and the same weight. It's the heaviest duty 1/2 ton available right now. You will not be "sagging" as someone mentioned, even if you load the rear axle up to the 4800 lb rating. It sits level with that load. You can make a lightweight 5th work but plan to pack light and don't use much of the front storage(which is unrealistic). I'm debating a truck swap at the moment just to be able to pack whatever I want, wherever I want. I'm right at the max and it still handles like a champ and when unloaded it's a rocket that is capable of over 20mpg.

It is a great combo if you don't mind watching weight and don't plan to haul anything or anybody else. Heck, I see standard GM 1/2 tons hauling similar 5ths. You'd have to pull a Big Horn or Montana with an F150HD to put yourself in a similar situation.
New: 2014 F250 Lariat 6.2 Crew 4x4 3.73 156", 2725 lb payload
Old: 2012 F150 XLT ECO Screw 157" 4x4 3.73LS Max Tow HD Payload, 2171 lb payload
2013 Heartland Sundance XLT 285BH (7750/8800lb, 1400/1700pin, dry/loaded)

DwnSth
Explorer
Explorer
Steakman wrote:

I'm running 265/75R17 BFG Rugged Trails rated at 3195lbs ea - so they should not pose an issue.

I have the same exact tires. Interesting the F150 HD payload seems like it's BUILT for the job. Perhaps I'm overthinking the weights etc. I have a good 1600 lbs. available right now. Getting rid of a couple of things might give me a bit more. Remove my G2 cover, the drop in liner and bed mat should give me about 120 lbs. more. Also considering a B&W Turnoverball (Open Range hitch allows goose neck if we go with that brand). This might save another 75 lbs. overall. Might be enough to satisfy my own personal weight police demons!
My Original question was really should I be concerned about being over GVWR by s small amount as long as I'm not over my axels. I'm aware of that dry pin weight will not be what I end up with traveling, however, I will NEVER load a trailer at this point in my life to it's GVWR. Our reality is we have 500 lbs. of stuff in the current TT when it's pulling out the driveway, there isn't anything else I will put in a new TT or 5th wheel.
Not trying to Justify my weights and the 5th wheel, we're looking at some TT's also. Just want opinions on occasionally being over GVWR.
2014 Berkshire 360QL

sh410
Explorer
Explorer
spud1957 wrote:
sh410 wrote:
With 1620# of payload and a projected pin weight of 1500# that will leave you with 120# for driver and passengers.

That can of gas will be the least thing to worry about.

He, his wife and his "stuff" was already in the truck when he weighed it as stated in the OP.

S

Yep - your right and I mis read the OP

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
sh410 wrote:
With 1620# of payload and a projected pin weight of 1500# that will leave you with 120# for driver and passengers.

He, his wife and his "stuff" was already in the truck when he weighed it as stated in the OP.

S
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

sh410
Explorer
Explorer

Steakman
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting Conversation here. Up till Saunday, I was hunting for a "light weight"5th myself

I drive an '06 GMC 2500HD Duramax and even so, weights are an issue.
My TV GVWR is 9200.

I weighed it this past Friday: I have a steel bumper up front, Titan Tank 52 Gal and a slip tank at 30Gal, Alum Toobox with a few gallons of fluids (trans fluid/oil etc.) and a bit of other stuff + the Dog and myself and it came out to:

8120lbs.! Fuel tanks were in fact full.

Given that I was left with about 1200lbs for pin weight I was surprised...particularly when GM themselves tells you the vehicle can handle trailers up to 14,200lbs....yea, as if.!

We ended up settling on an '11 Coachman Chaparral 275RLS. Dry at 7720 - likely loaded at 8750...and the pin weight will be what the pin weight is...very likely exceeding my GVWR of the truck.

I'm running 265/75R17 BFG Rugged Trails rated at 3195lbs ea - so they should not pose an issue.

Plan is to add cpl air bags to the rear, load the 5th carefully. Later this spring I will build a welded 8' X 18-24" deep extension off the back frame rails - dumping that useless 4 X 4 pce of sheet metal called a bumper and eventually set both my 6 Volt Batts and possibly my 2 X 30lb propane btls there to lighten up/re-balance my pin weight.

I have built a couple of these in the past Using 2 X 4 X .250 wall 6061 Aluminum HSS (bolted w/Gr 8 bolts to welded steel brackets made for the purpose), and they work exceeding well for excess storage capability.

When I'm done..I'll post some pics of that.

Stk.
M'self and the Bride...of 32 yrs

'06 GMC DMax CCSB 594,545 km

(368,890 miles)

2003 Citation 26RKS

DwnSth
Explorer
Explorer
12thgenusa wrote:
DwnSth wrote:
I'm over 6'2" so an 80" bed is a must.

That might be tough. Most all models have 75" beds except in the larger models. We pull ours out about 5-6" from the wall at night with pillows stuffed in the gap.

There are "light weight" 5th wheels out there. I have one. Unfortunately Cougar quit making the floor plan I have.

Yep, we do the same with our current TT and too short bed. Helps but foot end drops, thought about rigging something to add support at foot. Has to be able to move though, slide comes right up against mattress when closed. Most of the 'light' 5th wheels we've been looking at have 80" beds, eve some of the TT's like Open Range do so as I've said before those may be an option for either 5th or TT.
2014 Berkshire 360QL

12thgenusa
Explorer
Explorer
DwnSth wrote:
I'm over 6'2" so an 80" bed is a must.

That might be tough. Most all models have 75" beds except in the larger models. We pull ours out about 5-6" from the wall at night with pillows stuffed in the gap.

There are "light weight" 5th wheels out there. I have one. Unfortunately Cougar quit making the floor plan I have.

2007 Tundra DC 4X4 5.7, Alcan custom rear springs, 2009 Cougar 245RKS, 370 watts ET solar, Victron BMV-712, Victron SmartSolar 100/30, 200AH LiP04 bank, ProWatt 2000.

DwnSth
Explorer
Explorer
Tvov wrote:
Aren't most fivers that lightweight pretty small? Why not just get a TT? Is there a reason you are set on a fiver?

My way of looking at "upgrading" to a fiver is to get a big, roomy camper about the same total length (tow vehicle and camper) as towing a TT.

Sorry, previous post meant to quote this one.....
2014 Berkshire 360QL