cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

On Board Generator vs Portable Generator

placergold
Explorer
Explorer
We are researching the purchase of a new toy hauler. And one of the options we are struggling with is whether or not to go with a portable generator, or the factory installed generator. Your opinions and experience on this subject would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
48 REPLIES 48

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
I love the convenience of our LPG fueled built in Onan. However I opt to use the portable when the larger genset isn't needed like for charging batteries.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
To me an on-board unit is hands down better in a toy hauler when it draws off the gas fuel tank. If you're talking about a regular fifth wheel or TT with a propane generator I'm not sure it makes as much sense.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
A properly installed built-in genny should not be loud, or shakey, or put fumes into the interior. Our 4K Onan in our Class C is very well-mannered, so we're able to run it whenever we need it.

It's amazing that folks when shopping for a new rig will opt to spend the extra big bucks that a built-in genny costs and then after they've bought it complain that it's worthless whenever they try to use it. How about having the dealer start it up before they buy and then rejecting the RV if they don't like what they hear, feel, and smell from the generator? Maybe RV manufacturers would eventually get the message and begin doing things differently.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"Sucks LP like no tomorrow, louder than a thrashing machine and shakes the TT!!"

LP does use more than gas. Loud? I would say box is not insulated very well. Shakes? Something is wrong with the gen or the mounting.

With the 6500 above only comparison to yours is it does like to use LP.

If I boondocked a lot I would have bought the diesel version.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I will never again spend that kind of money for an onboard LP Onan!!! We have the 3600 in our TT. Dealer talked me into it for the convenience. That's about all it is, convenient!! Sucks LP like no tomorrow, louder than a thrashing machine and shakes the TT!!

Our first TT, 2010 Springdale I used twin Honda 2000's, one being the Companion. Worked great!! 2nd TT was a 2014 Nash. Mounted a Honda 3000 on the tongue over the LP tanks. Worked even better!!

Due to the different configuration on our 2016 AF I could not use the 3000 on the tongue. Idaho summers can get hot, even at altitude. Too hot for me anyway so I run my AC 3-4 hours every afternoon. At 1 to 1 1/2 gallons per hour you can't last long without an accompanying propane truck!!

I had a hitch fabricated to the frame of the TT rated at 500/5000. So now when the weather gets hot I'll be packing Hondas again!! :M

Don't know if the gas versions do any better but stay away from LP!!!
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

northmeck0255
Explorer
Explorer
Ours installed generator is gasoline powered. It's far easier to get gas at a Flying J than to refill propane cylinders. Plus there are more BTU's per gallon of gasoline. It's just more efficient.
2010 Airstream 27FB Classic Limited
2012 Ram 3500 DRW 4X4

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
It seems most toy haulers either come with or are set up to use gas powered gens as I think in my opinion is the only way to go for a toy hauler. Fifth wheel campers usually are set up with/for LP gens as they don't have the rear mounted gas tanks like the toy haulers do. Have a couple friends with the LP gens and all they ever did was complain about fuel usage and having to carry so much LP.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Very little noise comes out of our built-in Onan's exhaust pipe - the Onan design does a good job muffling that noise. I wouldn't buy a Gen-Turi for noise reduction ... only for routing the exhaust away up high in crowded camping conditions.

Most of the noise from our Onan is the huge amount of cooling air that it's fan exhausts out the bottom of the open-at-the-bottom outside cabinet that the generator is mounted in. However, this volume of air is what helps keep the Onan purring along hour after hour running the A/C in searing heat ... which is going to be occuring more and more in the future the way things are going. Parking on a soft surface helps reduce this air flow sound coming from underneath - probably throwing a rug down on the ground under it would help muffle this reflected sound.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Commercial Cummins/Onan 6500 LP 240V

I like it a lot!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

northmeck0255
Explorer
Explorer
It makes the tone deeper and raises the exhaust to the roofline. I've never used a decibel meter to compare the sound.
2012 Ram 3500 DRW 4X4

The_real_wild1
Explorer
Explorer
northmeck0255 wrote:
Our fiver has an onboard gennie, and I'd never want a rig without one. If we're in proximity to other folks, we use the Gen-Turi to take care of noise and exhaust fumes.
So I checked into this gentry and the home made version as well. Thinking i might build one. How much does it quiet the gen set down?

ICamel
Explorer
Explorer
X2
marcsbigfoot20b27 wrote:
My travel trailer came with an Onan 2500 LP built in.
I also use my Honda 2000i and always bring it with me camping.
Pros: Honda is portable, take it anywhere or don't, its quiet, long run time.
Onan LP super convenient push button, built in, no theft, no gummed up carb if it sits.
Cons: Honda wants to grow legs so you have to chain it down, limited power, lug it along.
Onan LP eats propane under load, more noisy and some vibration since its mounted on the trailer.
ICamel

2017 Arctic Fox 992
2005 Ford F350 Lariat SuperDuty CrewCab 4x4 + 6 Speed Manual + 19.5" Tires + LoadLifter 5000 Rear Air Bags
2005 16' River Wild Drift Boat
Honda EU2000i
Trophytrout FlyFisherman

MP_soldier
Explorer
Explorer
placergold wrote:
We are researching the purchase of a new toy hauler. And one of the options we are struggling with is whether or not to go with a portable generator, or the factory installed generator. Your opinions and experience on this subject would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

On board all the way!
I stand alone 3K generator won't run both of your AC units.

Your onboard will run everything!
2000 Volvo 770
10 speed Eaton autoshift transmission
Cummins N14

2016 XLR Thunderbolt 420amp Toyhauler
Featuring side and rear deck AND onboard Onan Genny

northmeck0255
Explorer
Explorer
Our fiver has an onboard gennie, and I'd never want a rig without one. If we're in proximity to other folks, we use the Gen-Turi to take care of noise and exhaust fumes.
2012 Ram 3500 DRW 4X4