cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Order the "0ptional" TV with our new trailer or buy our own?

placergold
Explorer
Explorer
We are about to order our new toy hauler trailer. One of the issues we are still trying to get a straight answer on is this:

We were told by the salesman that we should order the optional TV installed by the mfg (Forest River). The reason he gave was because it is "D.C. compatible", and can be used off-road when no A.C. is available and w/o running the generator. He said if we bought our own 4K flat screen LED (for 1/4 the price!) it would have to be "D.C. compatible". Is there such a TV in the general market place, like Costco?
I thought all the newer RV installed TV'S were able to run on D.C. current because there is a inverter the battery power runs through to convert it to A.C. to power appliances like TV's, refrigerators (not that I would recommend it), etc.
Any help on this subject would be GREATLY appreciated.
Thank you!
16 REPLIES 16

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
If you are depending on the inverter you would use an AC tv. If you want to run directly off your 12v system you need a DC tv. Plenty to choose from:
DC Tv's
How that hooks to your 12v system is what I can't tell you. See if it is prewired.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
placergold wrote:
I thought all the newer RV installed TV'S were able to run on D.C. current because there is a inverter the battery power runs through to convert it to A.C. to power appliances
If they come with an inverter, yes. Most do not, unless you have a residential refer, and then the inverter only powers the refer.

That's what inverters do, make 120vac from batteries. You will have to have that to plug n' play a household TV. Many of us have inverters. Wonderful piece of equipment. That said, I've camped next to many people who run a generator to watch TV. Not something I'd do.

Any TV that comes with the RV is likely to be c rap. They put in the cheapest they can find.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman