cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Picking the Best Tow Dolly

dougsmith51
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I will be buying a Class A soon (likely a Winnebago Vista or Sunstar) to spend a year traveling around North America. We hope to tow our 2010 Prius behind us. I've been researching dollies, and both the Acme EZE-tow and the American Car Dolly appear to be well constructed and reasonably priced.

We'd like any feedback from RVers who have used these. Any things to worry about with either? And is there another manufacturer you would recommend instead?

Thanks in advance for your help.
5 REPLIES 5

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Best, IMO, but quite expensive: DEMCO Kar Kaddy II, with surge brakes and folding tongue.
"Best Bang for the Buck" IMO: American tow dolly. Reasonably priced, and they deliver right to your door.
Entirely adequate: ANY steerable dolly, with brakes.
Least desirable, IMO: Any dolly that isn't steerable. I would never buy one.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

whemme
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am of the opinion that asking which product is the best is generally a waste of time. You generally will receive multiple replies each stating their own opinions to the point that you are still left confused. If there truly is a best standout product on the market, it will kill the demand for all others to the point that the inferior ones will disappear from the market. Just my opinion on the matter.
2002 Born Free 26' RSB Motorcoach
2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS Toad

ronfisherman
Moved from Class C.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

eartha
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Acme tow dolly it works great and the price was very good . I use the tow dolly because I trade cars frequently that way all of them will fit on it .
Thor 2017. Class C

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
dougsmith51 wrote:
My wife and I will be buying a Class A soon (likely a Winnebago Vista or Sunstar) to spend a year traveling around North America. We hope to tow our 2010 Prius behind us. I've been researching dollies, and both the Acme EZE-tow and the American Car Dolly appear to be well constructed and reasonably priced.

We'd like any feedback from RVers who have used these. Any things to worry about with either? And is there another manufacturer you would recommend instead?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Well my vote goes to the Acme with the disk surge brakes. I have one that I used for a couple of years when I was towing my Civic.
When you make your decision let me know and I will give you some tips on towing/ loading the dolly.
When you start looking I would look for a used RV as it will save you some money.
Try browsing ppl.com to see what is available. Depending on your budget you probably could move up a little for the same money as a new gas.
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain