cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pre towing procedure for Honda

golfknut
Explorer
Explorer
The owners manual for our 2009 Honda Fit states to remove the radio fuse when towingg for longer periods of time.
It also states to not pull the fuse until after going thru the pre-towing procedure (start engine,run through all the gears, let run in neutral, etc).

I have two questions.

Why would it matter when the radio fuse was pulled?.....before or after going through the pre-towing procedure?

Also, so with that in mind on a consecutive several-day trip do I need to put the fuse back in after each day of towing before going thru the pre-towing procedure....and then pull it back out after going thru the procedure?

(Note: I have never pulled the fuse before because we have never pulled the car more than 4 hours or so on any given day. However this winter we had battery problems on a consecutive three-day trip)
2018 Newmar Canyon Star 3513
8 REPLIES 8

LetsRV
Explorer
Explorer
x3 on the charging wire.
Just eliminates the issues.
Due to depreciation the above opinions are now worth less than what you paid for them.

We are all good at something.....
I just happen to be a good bad example.

2016 Forest River Forester 3011DSF

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's in your owners manual too.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
path1 wrote:
Don't know if this applies to you or not. Just a heads up. Maybe you've already went thru this? Was surprise to us.

Disconnected radio on wives Honda. Then I entered into the world of needing a "Radio Code". I never heard about that before. Dealer wanted $120.00. Follow link and save the $$$$

http://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-present/49205-radio-code-needed-2009-fit-sport.h...

Your dealer wanted 120 to provide your radio code??? I would call Honda and complain. The code is to prevent someone from stealing the radio and putting it in another car. Honda should provide this to you absolutely free of charge.

F1bNorm
Explorer
Explorer
Deleted
F1BNorm

Wayne_Dohnal
Explorer
Explorer
x2 on running the charge wire.
2009 Fleetwood Icon 24A
Honda Fit dinghy with US Gear brake system
LinkPro battery monitor - EU2000i generator

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know if this applies to you or not. Just a heads up. Maybe you've already went thru this? Was surprise to us.

Disconnected radio on wives Honda. Then I entered into the world of needing a "Radio Code". I never heard about that before.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ours is not to question why, ours is but to do what the manufacturer says.

I have never pulled the fuse and the only time I had a dead battery was when I forgot to turn the key off overnight.

We rarely drive day after day either and I am betting that if you did, you might run the battery down.

I personally would put the fuse back in and do the procedure every morning before towing. I usually do the procedure at lunch if driving all day.

We have 70K miles on our 09 Fit and have not had one issue. Wife continues to love it.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

OldHatt45
Explorer
Explorer
Can't tell you why they want you to go through the start procedure and then pull the fuse, but having owned and towed a CR-V which is similar, what I would suggest is to run a "charge wire" from the RV to the battery on the Fit. That will eliminate the need to muck with the fuse at all and keep the battery charged. Normally if you have a 6 wire umbilical between the RV and toad, you can use the Blue center wire as the "charge wire".