cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Problem with awning up/down lever

Bigrick
Explorer
Explorer
I'm having a problem with the lever which controls the up/down operation of my TT awning. When the awning is in the 'up' position, I have no problem flicking the up/down lever to the 'down' position with the awning rod. However, when in the 'down' position, the lever is extremely hard to flick up so I can close the awning. I have to bang it with a hammer to close the awning. Does anybody have any thoughts on this? Thanks!
2007 Dutchmen 28F GS
2012 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4WD 5.7L V-8
9 REPLIES 9

Bigrick
Explorer
Explorer
Took everybody's advice. Lever now works fine. Thanks again.
2007 Dutchmen 28F GS

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Rotate the awning roller over the top a little, ie. away from you, while flipping the lever. Be sure to hold onto the roller so it doesn't retract by itself.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Bigrick
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. Lotta good replies. I'll work on it tomorrow.
2007 Dutchmen 28F GS

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, whenever I open the awning to it's fullest the lever is almost impossible to move. What I do is to not open the awning to it's max, I stop a half inch or so before full extension and the lever works just fine. Keep banging on that thing and it will break. ๐Ÿ™‚
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

wingsfan20
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
Agree with the above. Wrap your left hand or both hands around the awning and twist it towards you while flipping the lever with your right hand. Then grab the awning strap with the right hand and gently let the awning roll up. I have to do this all the time.
Barney

I found it works better as a team project. I use the above method, except DW is in charge of the strap. Works great.
Jim :W
2007 Silverado 3/4 LTZ Crew Duramax/Allison
2008 Keystone Cougar 311RLS

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
X3 or X4 above^^^^^

Banging it with a hammer is just going to bust it.

The locking lever is a racketing gear/pawl assembly. Round the teeth off and no engagement........no more locking.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
As stated rotate the roller tube just a little further open to release the lever.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Agree with the above. Wrap your left hand or both hands around the awning and twist it towards you while flipping the lever with your right hand. Then grab the awning strap with the right hand and gently let the awning roll up. I have to do this all the time.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Jerallen
Explorer
Explorer
Occasionally mine will be hard- I have found that if I roll it slightly forward as if trying to unroll it a bit further it will release the tension on the lever.