cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Progressive RV Insurance Scam

surfride
Explorer
Explorer
I was speaking to an agent from Progressive on why my RV policy jumped another 20% this year. We went through each of the items and the agent made an offhanded comment regarding personal items coverage. The agent said the max Progressive will pay on any personal item is $500. I confirmed what the agent told me in their "California Motor Home Policy" page 35, Limits of Liability Section 2. a under Replacement Cost Personal Effects Coverage, section e. $500 per item.

So the $2,000 notebook I travel with, iPad, or digital camera, if any these of these items are stolen, I am only partially covered. Up until recently, I used to believe Progressive would pay me replacement cost, it sure sounds like it my declaration page where it says "Replacement Cost Personal Effects Coverage." But the scam is found page page 36, section 2. subsection e: max $500 per item.

I personally find this intentionally misleading and an outright scam. I dropped this coverage, immediately and I am shopping for better coverage. If there was a theft, I would end up going with my homeowners for personal items anyway. Why pay for this coverage? Progressive says in their advertising, "Its not a car, don't insure it like one." RIP OFF ALERT.
~surfride
43 REPLIES 43

JALLEN4
Explorer
Explorer
surfride wrote:
There is a limit on the policy declaration page; 5k. I find that to mean Progressive will pay to replace items up to the policy limits. Did I think they would pay all 5k toward the Rolex on my wrist, no that is scheduled on my homeowners because it is of high value and an unusual item. However, the 500 limit is applied to each and every item on this policy. This cap is not explicitly disclosed on the declaration page and that is the part I find most offensive and a scam. This "Replacement Cost Personal Items" coverage is useless and "Flo's" right to their bottom line. When I was in b-school (a term I imagine means noting to the demo on this forum), top 10 by the way, we did several cases on this company. Progressive is a marketing company selling insurance.

Should I feel cheated, I can always have my day in court, like our founding fathers intended. Wrong again, that right is gone too, we consumers have no access to the court system anymore. This, like most every contract you sign these days, from the phone in your hand, to the car you buy, your bank, gym, carpet cleaner, to sweet Flo from Progressive, who would never cheat anyone, all have "binding arbitration" where the proceedings are closed door and the odds are stacked against the consumer. (The arbitrator wants repeat business right?)

Bottom line here, this is not the coverage they sold me, Progressive did disclose it to me deep in 50 pages of fine print. I feel cheated and I haven't even suffered a loss. At least I know now, should I suffer a loss, I am not Pollyanish enough to believe that my Honda Generator, or iPad, or that suit in the closet, is actually going to be replaced by Progressive with new like my declaration page states; won't happen, not with this policy anyway.

This begs more questions; is the TV that is permanently installed in the rig a personal item? My attorney is 500/hour, I imagine it would take him two hours to read the disclosures, cross reference and answer my question.

Be aware and informed.

Gee, I didn't go to "b-school" and didn't finish in the top ten. But, I would have thought business school would have taught one how to read an insurance policy and not to just be a "scam" victim. I majored in Theology and learned those things.

tommyznr
Explorer
Explorer
skipnchar wrote:
If they provided you with the information, in what way is it a SCAM? Everyone is SUPPOSED to read their policy. Thinking that the insurance company is there to protect it's users is folly. They are there to protect themselves.

Merriam-Webster says "a fraudulent or deceptive act or operation "

This particular incident is not fraudulent but could be deceptive depending on the wording. The art of deception is providing all of the information in a confusing or misleading way. So, yes it could be a SCAM with all of the information provided.

The OP feels it was deceptive and therefore a scam.
Tom

2017 GMC Sierra SLT, Max Tow package
2018 Grand Design Reflection 295RL

peaches_cream
Explorer
Explorer
surfride wrote:
Let me add one more item to "chew" on here. Progressive is running an ad with Flo and a dog, where she voiceovers something about; ..not just covering you, but your best friend too. Well, maybe if your vet is in Mexico. The 500 limit applies to their pet coverage too(400 actually 100 deductible). So then you have to ask yourself, is it worth filing a 400 claim (500 less 100 deductible) and losing your claim free status? One could argue this "insurance" is actually a profit center for them through increased premiums because the claim free discount is lost.

Progressive is all about marketing, making you feel all warm and fuzzy, building a trust relationship with a fictional character, then taking it all back in the fine print.

I think you have made it perfectly clear that you "hate" Progressive for lying to you and cheating you out of your money. Now, tell us which Co. you moved to that is so "great" and describe the coverages you now have that are included in your basic policy without adding riders? And FYI I just left Progressive after 8 yrs. of very happy service. I moved because of Premium increase but I am not complaining about claims I did not have or coverages not offered in their policy.

az99
Explorer
Explorer
surfride wrote:

Progressive is all about marketing, making you feel all warm and fuzzy, building a trust relationship with a fictional character, then taking it all back in the fine print.
They are all about making me ANGRY. I am ready to throw something at the TV every time that annoying b---- comes on and on and on.
If they need to advertise that much their product must be really bad.

az99
Explorer
Explorer
I don't want to pay higher policy rates so your $2,000 gold plated notebook is covered.:)
As to the 20% increase, they gave me a dozen reasons why. I did not buy any of them and switched to Geico.

surfride
Explorer
Explorer
Let me add one more item to "chew" on here. Progressive is running an ad with Flo and a dog, where she voiceovers something about; ..not just covering you, but your best friend too. Well, maybe if your vet is in Mexico. The 500 limit applies to their pet coverage too(400 actually 100 deductible). So then you have to ask yourself, is it worth filing a 400 claim (500 less 100 deductible) and losing your claim free status? One could argue this "insurance" is actually a profit center for them through increased premiums because the claim free discount is lost.

~surfride

surfride
Explorer
Explorer
There is a limit on the policy declaration page; 5k. I find that to mean Progressive will pay to replace items up to the policy limits. Did I think they would pay all 5k toward the Rolex on my wrist, no that is scheduled on my homeowners because it is of high value and an unusual item. However, the 500 limit is applied to each and every item on this policy. This cap is not explicitly disclosed on the declaration page and that is the part I find most offensive and a scam. This "Replacement Cost Personal Items" coverage is useless and "Flo's" right to their bottom line. When I was in b-school (a term I imagine means noting to the demo on this forum), top 10 by the way, we did several cases on this company. Progressive is a marketing company selling insurance.

Should I feel cheated, I can always have my day in court, like our founding fathers intended. Wrong again, that right is gone too, we consumers have no access to the court system anymore. This, like most every contract you sign these days, from the phone in your hand, to the car you buy, your bank, gym, carpet cleaner, to sweet Flo from Progressive, who would never cheat anyone, all have "binding arbitration" where the proceedings are closed door and the odds are stacked against the consumer. (The arbitrator wants repeat business right?)

Bottom line here, this is not the coverage they sold me, Progressive did disclose it to me deep in 50 pages of fine print. I feel cheated and I haven't even suffered a loss. At least I know now, should I suffer a loss, I am not Pollyanish enough to believe that my Honda Generator, or iPad, or that suit in the closet, is actually going to be replaced by Progressive with new like my declaration page states; won't happen, not with this policy anyway.

This begs more questions; is the TV that is permanently installed in the rig a personal item? My attorney is 500/hour, I imagine it would take him two hours to read the disclosures, cross reference and answer my question.

Be aware and informed.
~surfride

jetboater454
Explorer
Explorer
I have Progressive on the camper,boats and ATV.I just pay a few bucks extra for a $5000 in personal effects rider with replacement value with a $100 deductible.
2011 Toyota Tundra DC Long Bed
2001 Harley Dyna Lowrider

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
If they provided you with the information, in what way is it a SCAM? Everyone is SUPPOSED to read their policy. Thinking that the insurance company is there to protect it's users is folly. They are there to protect themselves.
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
All policy wording - coverages, limits or exclusions have to be approved by the state insurance commissioners office before the policy can be used. Whatever state this is, they are regulated. Complain to the insurance commissioner of the state where the policy was purchased. Probably nothing would happen in response as the commissioner already approved that policy language.

First read coverages , then read the limitations and exclusions sections.

peaches_cream
Explorer
Explorer
Goostoff wrote:
Many many years ago in Chicago there was this certain group of people that would walk into the local businesses and tell them they had to pay for protection. Eventually there were charges of racketeering, profiteering, and extortion.

Now they just simply call this legalized extortion, insurance, and the mob is now simply agents, and on the other side you have the scumbag lawyers that are responsible for the extremely high rates we all pay and all the stupid little clauses written in the fine print

Great thing about today's rules is "you do not have to purchase" the coverage you "hate" so bad. Just save your money and pay "cash" for everything. No one will be shaking you down making you purchase "protection" you don't want. I bet you would "gripe" if all the Ins. Co. went out of business or better yet, "refuse to write coverage for you" yet Insure your neighbor? Also, all policies are written in "plain language". If you cannot understand it, ask any 10 yr. old and they can explain it to you. 21 yrs. of P&C Ins. Sales fuels my post.

JALLEN4
Explorer
Explorer
Scam! Really!

Full replacement coverage for personal items with any insurance company is going to have limitations whether it is your RV coverage or your Home Owners policy. If you think not, you really need to look it up.

Full replacement simply means they will pay present value, not depreciated value, on covered items up to policy limitations. If you want full coverage for all your personal items, you will need to purchase a Personal Articles Policy. That policy will schedule those items covered, will normally require the items to be currently appraised, and most often require a photo of the item.

Common sense should tell you that the insurance company is not going to pay an unlimited amount on anything you can carry for a policy charge of $20-$50 a year. As one person said, the most expensive item they carry is $150. Another person could easily have $50,000 in electronic equipment. Do you think the policy price should be the same?

It is not a scam. It is a lack of understanding what you bought. Check your home owner's policy and you will find it is also limited. Most likely for less than that $2,000 computer.

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
You would be wise to read your homeowners policy as well if you think that policy covers everything in your home with the replacement cost. Haven't you ever heard the term 'insurance value' on Roadshow or for jewelry? Expensive items need their own rider (at an additional cost per item) attached to your policy to be covered completely.

I do agree the language could be misleading to anyone new to the insurance game.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
So you are now uninsured? Thats not good either.
Puma 30RKSS

Goostoff
Explorer
Explorer
Many many years ago in Chicago there was this certain group of people that would walk into the local businesses and tell them they had to pay for protection. Eventually there were charges of racketeering, profiteering, and extortion.

Now they just simply call this legalized extortion, insurance, and the mob is now simply agents, and on the other side you have the scumbag lawyers that are responsible for the extremely high rates we all pay and all the stupid little clauses written in the fine print
1993 Chevy C3500
2005 Cedar Creek 34RLTS