cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Purchasing an RV 1st timer

rvlover2015
Explorer
Explorer
So many types and styles to choose from. It would probably be better to have less and make better quality RV's instead. But that's just American competition at its best, right? We've been looking for a few months, and first we need to figure out who makes the best, not who sells the most. We're leaning more toward a smaller used Class B or C to start, and work our way up the retail scale eventually I suppose.
My biggest concern though is the leakage I keep hearing about, and many used ones smell like mildew. Are the leaks just coming in from the roofs and sliders? Do I need to be concerned with the windows as well? How do I keep my RV from water damage? And last question, how often do I need to clean and re-seal if I'm a full-timer? Say if I use it for 30,000 miles? Anyone's opinion would be greatly appreciated.
8 REPLIES 8

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
Since you want a toy hauler, I'd highly recommend you consider a fifth wheel. You can tow a longer rig, and it is a lot easier to pull than a travel trailer.

As for slide-outs, make sure they have an awning/topper. That will help with most of the water intrusion issues. After that, change out the rubber wipers every 5-6 years, as they rot just like tires do.

rvlover2015
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for your comments, very helpful! Now we are looking at Travel Trailers w/ a Toy Hauler, something durable since we will be Full- timers, and a Chevy Dually Truck to tow it.

PghBob
Explorer
Explorer
We own a Lazy Daze Class C and would recommend you consider it along with your other choices. Lazy Daze makes 3 lengths, 24, 27, 30, with a couple of different floor plans for each length. It is highly ranked with an outside consumers group.

You indicated that you might consider a Class B, and another poster suggested a Class A. One of the biggest advantages of a Class C is that, generally speaking, it sleeps more campers than the others. Do you need more than two sleeping spots? Also, a Class C, compared to Class A, has two front entry doors, two air bags, and front-end crash protection.

Talk with your family, and work out how you will use the RV most of the time. Weekends only, a couple of weeks in the summer, or long travel trips? This will help you determine which type of RV will work best for you.

All RVs require up-keep. As noted before, go up on the roof and check it a couple of times a season. Patch any cracks immediately before water intrusion. Check the areas around the windows as well for cracks/dampness.

Even if you are not interested in a new rig, consider going to a RV show to see the various models. The biggest show in the country is in Hershey PA in a few weeks. If you live any where near there, it is certainly worth the visit. It could take a few days to see everything.

Good Luck with your decisions.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Get a copy of the RV Consumer's Group rating book (downloadable). Well worth the expense since it is more objective and thorough than any forum.
Once you have some models picked out search this Forum for them to see what others think. Pay more attention to the problems stated because owners will sometimes praise their choice to confirm their decision.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

stevekk
Explorer
Explorer
Consider a used Born Free Class C.
All fiberglass roof.
3 built in steel roll bars add to the safety and structural nature of the roof. Bully strong.
I own a Born Free. Very high quality. No Leaks.

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
You might consider a short Class A if you're worried about leaks in a Class B or C. You didn't say how much you want to spend so it's difficult to give recommendations. Something like this Tiffin? http://www.rvtrader.com/dealers/RV-World-of-Hudson%2C-Inc-766172/listing/2008-Allegro-Open-Road-30DA...
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Climbing up on the roof with any RV is a good idea twice a year. Check for cracks in the caulkng. Also be alert to any unusual moisture. I carry sticknbond tape and dicor caulking in my tool kit. If you are buying used walk away from any moisture damage.

All RVs have problems. Find the floor plan you like. Keep looking for quality. If you camp in cold climates you need to think about heated tanks.

jmcgsd
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the forums. I won't try to give you advice on the RV since your post indicates youre leaning towards a MH of some sort and as you can tell from my sig, I'm a Trailer and truck camper guy.

I would however suggest that you might want to edit your signature to indicate where you live. It could have a bearing on getting useful advice.

Good luck in your quest!
Joe
'09 Pacific Coachworks Tango 276RBS
95 Lance 880 Truck Camper

'91 F350 Dually 2WD CC 7.5L (76K Original miles!)
AirLift Bags, Reese Titan hitch, Rancho 9000X