cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Question on how long RV Antifreeze is effective in lines

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
I winterized my 5th wheel last fall by blowing out the lines and using RV Antifreeze. Due to various issues I was not able to take it out at all this year.

My question is should I replace the antifreeze with fresh or will it be good for the winter as is. I live about 20 miles south of Pittsburgh so it does get pretty cold here. Was 41 degrees when I got up this morning so the real cold stuff is not to far away.

Thanks!

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle
14 REPLIES 14

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
I blow out, pull filter on pump and line on accumulator and drain it. Gallon of a freeze every couple of years for traps. No problems.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

dsurette
Explorer
Explorer
If you just blow out the lines, how do you get antifreeze through the water pump? I also do both blow out and pull in antifreeze with the pump. Doesn't cost that much and the peace of mind is worth the extra labor. And no, I don't use suspenders and a belt.

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
Even with blowing lines out, there are low points that might still have water in them. Since I live in a warmer climate, I just run vodka through the lines, then blow them out. Any water is then mixed with alcohol which doesn't bring the freezing point down that much... but enough for Texas winters.

Campinfan
Explorer III
Explorer III
dpgllg wrote:
wa8yxm wrote:
You blew out the lines AND used pink stuff? DO you also hold your pants up with both belt AND suspenders?

Seriously, blow it out and leave it full of air, I mean if the air ever freezes..... You will not be worried about the RV.

I see nothing wrong with doing both. I had the compressor and the plug costs a couple bucks. The antifreeze I purchase from Tractor Supply every year as they have the best price around here. It takes me 5 minutes to blow out the lines and maybe 10 minutes more to pump fluid through. Total time 15 minutes and $5 to $6 bucks max. I would only save 5 to 10 minutes at most. For me I know my lines pump etc. will not freeze. Not a chance of enough water left to freeze and do any damage. So yes I guess I do use a belt and suspenders when it comes to protecting my investment.

Me too for all the above reasons. I would rather be safe than sorry. With the cold winter we had last year and are expected to have this year, I will do both.

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
You blew out the lines AND used pink stuff? DO you also hold your pants up with both belt AND suspenders?

Seriously, blow it out and leave it full of air, I mean if the air ever freezes..... You will not be worried about the RV.

I see nothing wrong with doing both. I had the compressor and the plug costs a couple bucks. The antifreeze I purchase from Tractor Supply every year as they have the best price around here. It takes me 5 minutes to blow out the lines and maybe 10 minutes more to pump fluid through. Total time 15 minutes and $5 to $6 bucks max. I would only save 5 to 10 minutes at most. For me I know my lines pump etc. will not freeze. Not a chance of enough water left to freeze and do any damage. So yes I guess I do use a belt and suspenders when it comes to protecting my investment.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
popeyemth wrote:
Don't forget to add more to the sink/shower traps and the toilet as it does evaporate in the summer,and if it's gone you get tank smells in the camper that can be hard to get out of fabrics.
Good Luck, Mike

Yes I keep a bottle on the counter to add a little to each when I inspect it during storage.

Thanks to everyone who responded!

Dave

rondeb
Explorer
Explorer
We winterized a trailer and then didn't use it for 5 years. Even if everything dried (which I am sure it did,) the first winterization removed any water that would freeze in the years following.

rseymour21
Explorer
Explorer
popeyemth wrote:
Don't forget to add more to the sink/shower traps and the toilet as it does evaporate in the summer,and if it's gone you get tank smells in the camper that can be hard to get out of fabrics.
Good Luck, Mike

This is a good idea. I check mine thru the summer months to add water to the bowl and traps.
2003 F250 7.3L
2008 Cougar 292RK

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
No need to do anything. If the antifreeze does dry up eventually it leaves air and air won't freeze.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

popeyemth
Explorer
Explorer
Good Luck, Mike
"wine is a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy" ben franklin

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with both posts above. Nothing to worry about. Sorry you could not use your camper this year. That's just sad.

ReadyToGo
Explorer
Explorer
2 points. It shouldn't go bad but if you are worried, (2nd point) just get a couple more gallons and rewinterize it. Only costs a few dollars.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
It doesn't go bad, it just gets diluted, so if you haven't drained/flushed the system, you should be good to go.
-- Chris Bryant