Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

ReadyBrute Owners Please

jeremywatco
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

For those of you who installed your own readybrute/readybrake I have two questions....

#1, when I received it there were these little white things that you place inside the readybrute on each side's tube and then you line up the holes in the white thing with the holes on the tube and put a bolt threw it.... well first thing I did was not pay attention and pushed it about 4" down the tube and now can't get it back out..... thoughts?

#2, the brake cable I have attached to my front bumper per the instructions. When I pull it by hand it works fine, but it seems almost like it will pull my bumper off... this normal?

THanks!
6 REPLIES 6

jeremywatco
Explorer
Explorer
ThorResidencyNewbee wrote:
I just installed my system myself about 2 weeks ago. I made a steel bracket and mounted that under my bumper. As others have mentioned, you need to have a solid mount for the brake cable to attach to. As for the plastic part in the tow bar arm, mine did the same thing. I tried every way I could think of to get it out but no luck. I ended up drilling a VERY tiny hole in it and slipping a hook tool in the hole and pulled the nylon part out. I then turned it around and reinstalled it with the hole facing inside the tow bar arm. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the info. I actually ended up taking the arm off and pushing it out the other way (Per NSA's email to me).

I will relocate the hook. I was almost thinking the license plate but that also would look odd the 350days/yr im not towing it.

ThorResidencyNe
Explorer
Explorer
I just installed my system myself about 2 weeks ago. I made a steel bracket and mounted that under my bumper. As others have mentioned, you need to have a solid mount for the brake cable to attach to. As for the plastic part in the tow bar arm, mine did the same thing. I tried every way I could think of to get it out but no luck. I ended up drilling a VERY tiny hole in it and slipping a hook tool in the hole and pulled the nylon part out. I then turned it around and reinstalled it with the hole facing inside the tow bar arm. Hope that helps.

jeremywatco
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
The term "centered" has a little leeway. It does need to be mounted to something a lot more secure than your grill. I was wondering in your first post because you said it was mounted to the bumper. I thought that is one WEAK bumper.

Find a frame secured spot below the bumper within about 6 inches of centerline and mount it there. Or, make a secure bracket that you attach to the bottom of the actual bumper, and mount it to the bracket.

It very well may pull out of your grill, or pull your grill out.

That's what I was thinking. I just didn't know what kind of angles I could have. If I mount under the bumper I was worried about the angle. If I can mount under I may just use the screw in clamps it came with and just clamp to the underside of bumper...

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
The term "centered" has a little leeway. It does need to be mounted to something a lot more secure than your grill. I was wondering in your first post because you said it was mounted to the bumper. I thought that is one WEAK bumper.

Find a frame secured spot below the bumper within about 6 inches of centerline and mount it there. Or, make a secure bracket that you attach to the bottom of the actual bumper, and mount it to the bracket.

It very well may pull out of your grill, or pull your grill out.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

jeremywatco
Explorer
Explorer
Here is what mine looks like. The instructions made it sound like it needed to be centered and not off to the side so this was the only logical spot for me.. its fine but looks as if its going to break off the plastic grill...

ronfisherman
Have not experienced the items you have mentions. Brake cable on mine is mounted to my Blue Ox base place. Made a bracket for the cable end.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD