cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Really Pay to Review My Application

ricklord2001
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I have sold our house and will be fulltiming for a while.
I saw that a State Park had an Opening for a host and thought I'd check it out as the description was very vague. Following advice I got from here I thought I'd call and see exactly what was expected for duties. That didn't go very well and every time I asked a question the response was do you have a problem with that. I really got the impression that you do what they ask and shut up. I really didn't get much out of it.
They advised me to fill out paperwork online and they might contact me. So I said what to heck and filled them out figuring I'd get my answers after/if they contacted me. Well I hit submit and there was a fee of $15 to review the application. It's not the $15 but to pay to have someone review my application just didn't agree with me. I've gotten jobs paying a lot of money and never been hit with this.
Is this the norm for workkamping? Just really rubbed me the wrong way in addition to the way I was treated during the phone call.
35 REPLIES 35

MaverickBBD
Explorer
Explorer
It could have been a third party hiring contractor. App. fees, proof of drug test (cost), records check (fees) , just to name a few are pretty much the norm for any job nowadays. It is a hirer's market. Supply and demand.
Tom, Cheryl & Blossom(coonhound mix)
'05 Winnebago Journey 36G w/Cat. C-7 350 hp Freightliner XC
AFE air filter, aero turbine muffler, 4 FSD Konis, ultra track bell crank and Safe-T-Plus
FMCA 397030
WIT 129107

Gale_Hawkins
Explorer
Explorer
There is a real cost to review applications we all know but never heard of the applicant footing the cost of that, medical testing, etc.

rwynkoop
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a scam to me. I believe it might be illegal for an employer to ask for money. Must be through a placement agency.
2003 Chevy 1500 HD Crew 4x4, 6.0L gas.
2007 Jayco 29BHS TT.

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
When they want a host, they are looking for cheap labor.
They certainly shouldn't charge someone that is offering
to help. I'd tell them to stick it!
Brian

P.S. That is really off to a bad start.

Poppy___Nana
Explorer
Explorer
I'd go to their website and see if there is anything about a fee to submit an application!

Well I just went into the Georgia State Park Application and it is right here:

New! ANNUAL REGISTRATION FEE
The website application edits are now in effect, you will notice when you log onto your account and click on the dates of your most recent assignment request that you are prompted to pay a mandatory annual registration fee of $15 per person. This fee covers the cost of processing your application, the fee associated with the excess accident medical insurance and excess personal liability insurance for you and processing the criminal background check. You will only need to pay this fee once per person annually. It covers volunteering with any branch of Georgia Department of Natural Resources/Georgia State Parks, Historic Sites and Golf Course. Excess insurance provides protection in excess of any other personal collectible insurance and is a requirement of volunteers. Upon receipt of your annual registration and a clear criminal history, host applicants will receive a 5-day Camping Certificate (valued at $125) that can be used at any Georgia State Park.
Leo & Kathy
Upstate, NY
in the Adirondacks

2013 Rubicon 2900 Toy Hauler
2008 - Ford F250 Super Crew 4x4

mustang652
Explorer
Explorer
How quick can you hit the delete key?
Stan, Shirley & 2 Schnauzers
RV: 2014 Itasca Sunstar 35F
USAF Retired, Life Member: VSPA, VVA, DVA,VFW