cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reese dual cam… driver side seems to have more tension.

Frozen001
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all, random question.

I have a Reese dual cam set up, third trailer and 4th truck to use this setup on. I everything tows fine but on this truck and trailer combo the driver side “appears” to have more tension. I say appears because I am judging this by when I unhook when I raise the truck to disconnect the passenger side will be loose to the point that there is no tension and the drivers side still has a lot on it. Thus is with TV and trailer in line and level. It is always the drivers side.
2018 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD CCSB 6.6l Duramax
2019 Grand Design 3170BH

2-Crazy Red Heads, an patient wife and me.
5 REPLIES 5

Frozen001
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. Everything measures correct, and both are centered on the hump. One thing I did not check is if the truck/trailer sits level drivers to prior to putting the bars under tension.
2018 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD CCSB 6.6l Duramax
2019 Grand Design 3170BH

2-Crazy Red Heads, an patient wife and me.

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
Mine did that. I dont think mine is same model or even brand, but same thing, big bars hanging from chains.
There was nothing out of level or mis-adjusted, but the tension was always different, even if I switched sides...
There seemed no issues while towing.
My solution was to get a single chain link, the kind that open with a nut and threads that typically is used to attach the safety chain to the receiver, and to bypass one link on the WDH and use this longer (1.5 times the size of the WDH bar's chain link) by using this bigger link.
The effect is that I lengthened that side chain string by a half of a link. This evened out the tension,
I did it in the middle of the chain, but I think better, if room, to put the threaded link on the WDH mount and attach the bar's chain to that.

This is the link type I used
https://www.carid.com/curt/zinc-coated-safety-chain-quick-link-7-16-threaded-mpn-82931.html

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
are both side brackets perfectly centered so that the "hump" in the cam is dead center on each bracket? On mine the bars are not identical and I have them labeled DS and PS so they mate perfectly.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
Of course having the trailer and tow veh both equally level is one thought, but I would check the hitch head for being slightly off level, or twist in shank or box. Our head is slightly off level, and one side (right in our case) is slightly different on tension, but not much so I don't worry aboot. No major difference in wear on the bars or cams. Also, when you pull up one side, the other side WILL have slightly less tension when lifting bar.
'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles

blt2ski
I would recheck measurements. Make sure it's installed correctly.
Have the chains on passenger side stretched? Is something slightly bent, crooked....chains twisted...

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer