cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reese hitch with Sway Control

des04004
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a used 30 foot trailer and the seller included his Reese hitch (I don't know what model it is) and it has sway control with it. I was planning on using my old weight distribution hitch but decided to try this one since I would like to use the sway control. So my question is I have the bar hooked up on the little ball on the tongue and the hitch. It is firmly in place on the hitch but pretty wobbly on the tongue. I kept messing with the pin but nothing got better. I tried rotating the lever on the bar to see if that would do anything and it also didn't. Any help would be appreciated. We are leaving on our first trip with her tomorrow. Our tow vehicle is a 2008 Ford F-250. Thanks!
2008 Ford F-250 Larait V10
2011 Forest River Wildwood T27BHSS (sold)
2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32TSBH
4 REPLIES 4

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
As mentioned, the bar will sit loose on the balls initially. When you install it there is no tension between the bar and the mounting balls as the lever is undone allowing the bar to slide so you can make it the length you need to install. Tigthening the lever puts a clamping force on the bars so it is harder to slide but it will still sit loose until you drive and turn a bit. Once you turn the bar will need to expand or contract which will put pressure on the ball and will then snug it up so it doesn't flop loosely.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

des04004
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. Yeah its the friction bar. So I guess I did have it right but wanted to make sure.
2008 Ford F-250 Larait V10
2011 Forest River Wildwood T27BHSS (sold)
2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32TSBH

TecheMan
Explorer
Explorer
The sway bar fits loosely on those two little balls it is just held on the balls by the pins. When you rotate that handle it is applying a brake pad type friction to control the trailer from swaying freely. The more pressure you apply the less that bar can extend and contract. Start snug and turn 3/4 of a turn and test. Tighten as needed but remember to loosen the friction before you back up.
TecheMan
1997 24' coleman Sun Ridge Pop-up
1998 F-150 crewcab:E

Bob_Olallawa
Explorer
Explorer
I think you are talking about a friction bar sway control. The clip pins hold the cups on each end of the sway bar on the smaller balls on the tongue and the hitch head, they are a loose fit. The lever you twisted on the sway bar is the one that tightens the brake lining pads to the slide part of the sway bar so it works.
Welcome to my home, that door you just broke down was there for your protection not mine.