cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Reported problems with Samurai

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
I'm shopping for a Suzuki Samurai as a toad. Are there any common problems that I should be looking for?

My preference is manual transmission and 4WD, fully enclosed (no canvas).
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.
10 REPLIES 10

reasley
Explorer
Explorer
I had to go back and look it up. Suzuki started putting in throttle body injection in 90.
You can put a wide variety of engines in the samurai, but the most popular and easiest is the 1.6. It comes in an 8 valve or a 16 valve version. The 8 valve with throttle body FI is easiest by far. The 16 valve is multi-port and far more complex. I think all of the various conversion engines are taller than stock and cause some fit issues. In my case it's a 1.6, 8 valve and I wanted to keep it spring under axle so I had to do a 2" body lift to clear the engine. Many just go to spring over to get the clearance.

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
thanx, Reasley. I understand they went to FI in '91. Engine sizes are available for upgrade: 1.6, 1.8, 2.0, 2.3.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

reasley
Explorer
Explorer
What you are looking for called a tin top (by Samurai people). For your application, a stock or nearly stock would probably be best. If you can find one that has had the springs changed to Old Man Emu's, it would be real plus. Different shocks will not help. The stock sammy springs are incredibly stiff. The stock engines (1.3 liter) are on the weak side. They have a very complex carburetor prior to about 92 or 93. The later fuel injected version is more trouble free and performs better at altitude. The transfer case does not have a true neutral and has been an occasionally caused some towing problems. The installation of a drive line disconect solves any issues.

If you are in need of specific info PM me. I've been running Sammys for a number of years.

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
My needs are putting around national parks and going to the fishing spots, occasional grocery runs.

rvtommy
Explorer
Explorer
Just put better shocks on and that will improve ride!!! I took big busted wife for a ride on I 5 and did she complain!!!! lolo rvtommy
this is rvtommy

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
I'm not real familiar with the Samurai, but look for and expect problems that typically plague a 30+ year old vehicle. The Samurai got a really bad rap from Consumer Reports that killed it- let's take a narrow, short wheelbase utility vehicle with leaf springs all around, bolt a 300 lb. outrigger to each side, drive it like it's a sports coupe and scream like a mashed cat when it tips over.

IMO a clean Samurai would make a sweet toad. Underpowered and relatively crude but with better off-road capability than almost anything on the market today except for a Jeep Wrangler. The other Suzukis mentioned are newer and much nicer on-road vehicles but IMO lack the simplicity and ruggedness of the Samurai. It all boils down to what your needs and wants are.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
I think you put the trans in 2nd and the transfer case in Neutral. Running the engine to lube the transfer case every 200 miles or less is mandatory! (I had an auto Sidekick).
Currently Between RVs

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Suzuki has pulled out of the North American market. Sad.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Biggest problem with most Samurais is modifications made on them. Taller tires make them more unstable.
Also suggest later models of Suzukis like the Sidekick, Vitara and grand Vitara.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Really basic vehicles. I love Suzikis, but for a toad I would look for a Sidekick. Bit nicer overall package, more HP.