cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RUST CONVERTOR vs RUST REMOVER

Mr__Steve
Explorer
Explorer
I have some rust under my MH, want to treat it. Just not sure which is best way to go.. RUST CONVERTOR vs RUST REMOVER? Any thoughts or experiance in this area appreciated. Thanks !
13 REPLIES 13

stripit
Explorer
Explorer
POR-15 works great, that is why the car nuts buy and use it so much. Knock off the loose scaly rust and brush the product on. Your done. It wears like iron, comes in semi gloss or gloss colors and is easy to apply. Beware, do not get it on your skin and let it dry. You will be wearing that color for weeks!!
Stacey Frank
2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
OSPHO is just phosphoric acid. It converts iron oxide to iron phosphate. I cannot find it here any more but can find the same stuff in the metal prep section of Home Depot by the gall0on.

I have found that rust will eventually creep back with time if the area is not painted after treatment. I use a spray bottle for app also along with eye protection and hand protection.

Chuck_Gail
Explorer
Explorer
I've used both, Rust Converter worked FAR better. In fact it says it leaves a primer, but I never bothered to paint over it. Worked great.
Chuck
Wonderful Wife
Australian Shepherd
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded

Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories

I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going

weathershak
Explorer
Explorer
Mr Steve wrote:
weathershak wrote:
Mr Steve wrote:
If I do not need to paint over it that would work pretty nicely.

What I used with great results

Any concern with tail pipe, etc or hot spots?

I didnt spray my exhaust with it due to S/steel pipes but did get overspray on them. I just used compressed air and a wire brush to prep the area and sprayed the stuff on. I did spray a gloss paint over it when it dried. It was fast, easy and I am happy with the results.
Full timing it since July 2012

path1
Explorer
Explorer
had the same question see link http://www.google.com/#fp=d376bad89d5753b2&q=por+15+reviews&revid=1489892140 I went with POR because many car "nuts" used it. Wear old clothes and have a box of throw away gloves nearby. I was surprised how far a couple quarts go. And when poring out of can, clean ring of can and lid because if you don't when you put the lid back on and it dries very had to get lid off again (that is how good it sticks).
Very happy with resultshttp://www.por15.com/
After reading info from a ton of manufactures that say their stuff "works the best", my final choice to use this stuff was based on "if they get that kind of money for this stuff and people buy it and like it, it must be good". I think I paid $27 or $37 dollars a QUART!!! But remember a little goes a long way. I didn't use their prep stuff. Got off old rust (best I could) with wire brush attachment on drill and went for it. And found I had most control using a little paint brush about 1/2 inch size.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

Mr__Steve
Explorer
Explorer
weathershak wrote:
Mr Steve wrote:

Any concern with tail pipe, etc or hot spots?

weathershak
Explorer
Explorer
Mr Steve wrote:

Full timing it since July 2012

Mr__Steve
Explorer
Explorer
Just re-read your comments, look like I do need to paint over it.

Mr__Steve
Explorer
Explorer

USARMYCW
Explorer
Explorer
When I was in the commercial paint business I bought it by the 5 gallon can. We maintained commercial waste containers.

I have brushed it on and also put it in a spray bottle and sprayed it on.

It's a chemical that stops rust. After cleaning the loose rust from the metal we let it dry and painted right over the ospho. Didn't use any additional undercoating. I have never had problems with wiring. The fumes don't do the nostrils any good.

Bought it at Sherwin Williams paint store.

Mr__Steve
Explorer
Explorer
Hello USARMYCW, thanks for inut. Does it come in spray on and does it damage wireling, etc? Is it a rust remover? ๐Ÿ™‚ I know, alot of questions.

USARMYCW
Explorer
Explorer
"Ospho". It kills rust. Of course you need to scrape the loose stuff off first.