cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV clubs focused on Folk/Roots/Americana music and festivals

wannabervin
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone know of any RV clubs or groups that tour the country, stopping at music venues or festivals featuring folk, roots, or Americana music?
26 REPLIES 26

wannabervin
Explorer
Explorer
banjo wrote:
If you are traveling through central Texas, and like bluegrass music, Pearl, Texas is the place to stop.
It happens on the first Saturday of every month except September, Then it is held on the second Saturday.
See link below to website.....

Looks like a great find! I've added it to my database. Thanks.

banjo
Explorer
Explorer
If you are traveling through central Texas, and like bluegrass music, Pearl, Texas is the place to stop.
It happens on the first Saturday of every month except September, Then it is held on the second Saturday.
See link below to website.....
Banjo
2011 3500 DRW D/A CC LB 4X4
2011 Cameo 34SB3

Quartermoon
Explorer
Explorer
Subscribing.
2016 Ford F250
2014 Open Range Light 318RL

wannabervin
Explorer
Explorer
oldmattb wrote:
wannabervin wrote:
oldmattb wrote:
An event you might consider if you construct your own tour - Tucson Folk Fest. Two days, over 100 performers, food vendors, etc. It is Free! Campsites surround Tucson. (Disclaimer - I am a TKMA board member)

http://tkma.org/

Thanks for the tip! One question: How far afield does the festival stray from folk? Attended the Newport Folk Festival in 2014 and there was a lot of music that I wouldn't really call folk. That said, I still enjoyed the festival, and some of the non-folk artists as well!

Though a subject of debate, the Fest stays pretty close to its folk roots. The performer bios for last year are still on the website, and most have links to hear them.

Cool! Thanks.

M.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
SpeakEasy wrote:
We're going to be at Grey Fox next week.

Catskills area of New York State.

-Speak

After hearing much about it, we did Grey Fox a couple of years ago.

HUGE!!!!!

Been there. Done that. Way too big for our liking. At least a 20 minute walk from our campsite to main stage. Considering the size, not much picking.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

oldmattb
Explorer
Explorer
wannabervin wrote:
oldmattb wrote:
An event you might consider if you construct your own tour - Tucson Folk Fest. Two days, over 100 performers, food vendors, etc. It is Free! Campsites surround Tucson. (Disclaimer - I am a TKMA board member)

Thanks for the tip! One question: How far afield does the festival stray from folk? Attended the Newport Folk Festival in 2014 and there was a lot of music that I wouldn't really call folk. That said, I still enjoyed the festival, and some of the non-folk artists as well!

Though a subject of debate, the Fest stays pretty close to its folk roots. The performer bios for last year are still on the website, and most have links to hear them.

M.
oldMattB
1998 Monaco Windsor

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:
Don't know of any clubs but we are always on the lookout for blugrass, folk or highland games festivals.

Just did the Stan Rogers festival in Canso, Nova Scotia. A 3000 campsite festival. Currently enjoying a little down time before a Scottish Highland Games & Band festival in Antigonish, NS this coming weekend.

September & October we try to catch as many bluegrass festivals as possible in the Smokey Mtn region. For us the requirement is onsite camping.

Nova Scotia is a GREAT place to go for music. Along the northeast coast you'll find "The Ceilidh Trail." The last Sunday in July every year is a one-day festival in Broad Cove, NS. Absolutely highly recommended!

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

wannabervin
Explorer
Explorer
oldmattb wrote:

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
We're going to be at Grey Fox next week.

Catskills area of New York State.

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

wannabervin
Explorer
Explorer
dakasa47 wrote:
We love our Funfinder. We have had some issues over the years such as a leak in the cap over the bed....a leak in a hose under the sink.....air conditioner had to be fixed...flat tires....and just general wear and tear (faded and curling graphics...bench seat separating from wall the awning ripped of in a bad ice storm etc...
BUT.....we have traveled 1000's and 1000's of miles in it since we bought it in 2007. We have been out west 4 times...up and on and over the Rocky's in Colorado,Wyoming and Montana....through the high desert of Arizona and California and Nevada... major highways.....secondary roads .....we have jostled over many a bad highway and back roads.....for miles and miles. We have taken it to The Keys about 6 times....through the Appalachians the Catskills, the Adarondacks the White and Green MT.s of New England.....up the Maine coast quite a few times...across lower Canada...through the midwest...and we still love it. I don't think that we have had any real major issues since we have traveled so far and for the last 9 years in it.We talk about upgrading...getting a slide out...but this was our first Rv and our first venture into Rv and camping and road trips making so many wonderful memories that the thought of selling it makes me kind of weepy):....In Indiana we did a tour of the factory....but I know that Cruiser RV was just bought out by Thor so not sure about any changes....Well this was a long wordy answer but I just wanted to say that we are still very happy with our Funfinder.

Sounds like you've found a lot of fun!

wannabervin
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
wannabervin wrote:
2gypsies wrote:
wannabervin wrote:
Does anyone know of any RV clubs or groups that tour the country, stopping at music venues or festivals featuring folk, roots, or Americana music?

Unless you're a full-timer or have a LOT of vacation time I don't see how you could tour the country and go to concerts. Perhaps just a one destination place would work better.

Yup! Planning to make that a focus of full timing, starting next year!

Good for you! It sounds like a fun way to travel. Here's one site for folk festivals in the U.S.A. Google for more.

https://www.musicfestivalwizard.com/festival-genre/folk/

Looks like a great site. Thanks!

wannabervin
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:
Don't know of any clubs but we are always on the lookout for blugrass, folk or highland games festivals.

Just did the Stan Rogers festival in Canso, Nova Scotia. A 3000 campsite festival. Currently enjoying a little down time before a Scottish Highland Games & Band festival in Antigonish, NS this coming weekend.

September & October we try to catch as many bluegrass festivals as possible in the Smokey Mtn region. For us the requirement is onsite camping.

I love Stan Rogers! I'm developing a data base of events by month of the year and I've added the festival to my list. Could you send me some info on the festivals in the Smokies?

We attended the Celtic Fling in Manheim PA last year and had a blast. It takes place near the end of June.

dakasa47
Explorer
Explorer
We love our Funfinder. We have had some issues over the years such as a leak in the cap over the bed....a leak in a hose under the sink.....air conditioner had to be fixed...flat tires....and just general wear and tear (faded and curling graphics...bench seat separating from wall the awning ripped of in a bad ice storm etc...
BUT.....we have traveled 1000's and 1000's of miles in it since we bought it in 2007. We have been out west 4 times...up and on and over the Rocky's in Colorado,Wyoming and Montana....through the high desert of Arizona and California and Nevada... major highways.....secondary roads .....we have jostled over many a bad highway and back roads.....for miles and miles. We have taken it to The Keys about 6 times....through the Appalachians the Catskills, the Adarondacks the White and Green MT.s of New England.....up the Maine coast quite a few times...across lower Canada...through the midwest...and we still love it. I don't think that we have had any real major issues since we have traveled so far and for the last 9 years in it.We talk about upgrading...getting a slide out...but this was our first Rv and our first venture into Rv and camping and road trips making so many wonderful memories that the thought of selling it makes me kind of weepy):....In Indiana we did a tour of the factory....but I know that Cruiser RV was just bought out by Thor so not sure about any changes....Well this was a long wordy answer but I just wanted to say that we are still very happy with our Funfinder.
David and Marianne
2010 Tundra
2007 FunFinder 21'

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
http://bluegrassfestivalguide.com/ Mind boggling how many there are to choose from.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995