cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Fuel Issues & Prices - Post 'Em Here!

Dick_A
Explorer
Explorer
All other fuel threads will be automatically deleted. ๐Ÿ™‚
2009 Tiffin 43QBP Allegro Bus
RoadMaster Sterling Tow Bar
US Gear UTB
Ford Explorer Sport Toad
WA7MXP
"Pisqually" the attack kitty :B
4,897 REPLIES 4,897

Hurricaner
Explorer
Explorer
Why, can the oil traders create such huge increases yet others cannot?
If you don't know, no one will be able to explain it to you.

Sam
Sam & Kari
Hurricane, Utah

2019 Winnebago Sightseer 33C

Sea_Dog
Explorer
Explorer
Can someone explain to me why, if speculation by the futures trader is driving up the price of oil, this seems to be the most popular current theory.
Why are not the same price increases taking place with other commonly traded commodities?

Why hasn't`t the price of sugar, pork bellies, lumber and all of the other items traded daily on the Chicago market among others also become artificially inflated?

Why, can the oil traders create such huge increases yet others cannot?
Life is short,Death is long,
Take a vacation.

onrecess
Explorer
Explorer
It is happening!
Congress passed a veto-proof bill stopping the idiotic buying of oil for the reserves at record prices, cutting stocks and helping raise prices- one boondoggle down.
Congress is working on (the house passed it, Senate is expected to follow) a bill (called NOPEC) to end sovereign immunity of OPEC in our courts, allowing the Justice Dept and Federal trade Commision to charge collusionary restraining trade practices. Such actions against offshore syndicates are not unusual and have been highly effective.
"Rep. Edward Markey pointed out in recent House hearings that the oil companies currently have drilling rights to 30 million acres both on shore and offshore that they are not using. Given their performance, given their massive earnings on the backs of everyday Americans, given their lack of meaningful innovative initiatives to curtail our fossil fuel dependency, now perhaps more than ever is the time for Congress to consider the creation of National Oil Trust to develop both economically and in an environmentally friendly manner the nations hydrocarbon resources, not exclusively for the benefit of a handful of wealthy and powerful oil companies but for the nation as a whole. This could be achieved much in the spirit of, and in the example of Norway's National Oil Trust through which that nation's oil and gas riches accrue to all its citizens (please see "The Oil Industry is Driving Away With Our Future- The Norway Solution" 04.24.06). Clearly, an American National Oil Trust venturing to develop the Alaskan ANWAR Refuge would have a totally different resonance in the halls of government and among our citizenry than its development being left to an oil industry that has lost its credibility or an Exxon Mobil adding another billion to its bottom line." http://news.yahoo.com/s/huffpost/20080601/cm_huffpost/104095;_ylt=AoBpo5oa9zINzZLfmlBdVMMd6sgF
Same OPED:
"- Speculation in oil and oil product markets has distorted the realities of market logic. On May 22nd the price of oil on the trading exchanges topped an all time high of $135 per barrel. On that day Iran had fifteen fully loaded tankers waiting in harbor with no place to go "waiting for greater demand to lift spot prices as well" (translation-couldn't find a buyer). Russian crude was selling at a $5.00 a barrel discount a to its equivalent North Sea crude on the spot market, if and when there were any takers. And yet long dated futures contracts were selling at significant premiums (at contango) largely in reaction to Saudi Arabia's announcement that they would not expand their production capabilities in the future beyond the long since promised 12.5 million barrels currently planned by 2009. Nor would they commit to any significant increase in current production as needed to signal to a market that prices need to come down, this in spite of the entreaties of President Bush and numerous other countries and agencies. Clearly when paper barrels are bid to the sky and wet barrels go begging there is a manifest irrationality lurking in the oil trading pits. It is bad enough to have the oil executive royalty spouting the nonsense "the price of their product is determined by supply and demand" before an assembled Congressional hearing, but it becomes particularly grating hearing it from our government officials or perhaps better described as oil patch lackeys the likes of Energy Secretary Sam Bodman, Acting Chairman of the CFTC Walter Lukken, and now Secretary of the Treasury Hank Paulson who one would have hoped would have known enough to know better."
Uh-oh... I can almost see that 100 BILLION in extra profits this year going, going...
Gee, seems both parties see the people have had enough. (At least until election time.) A new day, she be a-comin'.
๐Ÿ™‚
Tom Anderson
2005 GeorgieBoy 35

traxtermax
Explorer
Explorer
wing_zealot wrote:
traxtermax wrote:
wing_zealot wrote:
... Keep dreaming folks, your executive and legislative branch of goverment ain't the answer....

If not the federal government, who would make a concerted effort to determine, develop and fund alternate energy sources/programs?

I agree with you for the most part. My point was there are more then a few people that think the next administration is going to come in and nationalize the oil companies and every thing is going to be fine and dandy again. No, thatโ€™s why we need a strong, highly financed, very โ€œthreateningโ€, third party. Yes, we need a comprehensive energy policy. But a lot of the people on this thread may be in for a shock as to just what such a energy policy will consist of. The days of cheap gas and diesel are over and super-greed, plus super- speculation, geometrically hastened their demise; maybe good, maybe bad but always painful.

winkyb
Explorer
Explorer
Why Rant Why Rave Just ride a moped and save your gas money for your RV or TV when camping or you need to haul something.

ML
Explorer
Explorer

ML
Explorer
Explorer
We hear a lot about the price of oil going up, the big bad oil companies and our governments failures with energy policy, or solutions like getting off the road completely etc, as with all media its the ratings that drive the story lines and the negative gets the bulk of the lime light. What if we started to expose more of the solutions?

On the WEST COAST Oregon Farmer uses Wind Turbine for Power
http://blog.oregonlive.com/breakingnews/2008/06/_when_mike_bernards_began.html

In the MIDWEST you have heard about how windy Texas is, they are replacing oil wells with Wind Turbines:
http://www.metaefficient.com/renewable-power/rock-port-first-us-city-to-run-on-100-wind-power.html

"Texas surpassed California as the top wind farm state in 2006. In January alone, new wind farms representing $700 million of investment went into operation in Texas, supplying power sufficient for 100,000 homes." The rest of the article click here

On the EAST COAST:
America's first off shore wind farm

These may be small potatoes in the big scheme of things but they add up and a "penny saved is a penny earned". The less oil we need to power our homes and businesses the more available for transportation (RV's) till the vehicles already on the road can be retro-fitted to run on something else.
ML

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
traxtermax wrote:
wing_zealot wrote:
... Keep dreaming folks, your executive and legislative branch of goverment ain't the answer....

If not the federal government, who would make a concerted effort to determine, develop and fund alternate energy sources/programs?

I agree with you for the most part. My point was there are more then a few people that think the next administration is going to come in and nationalize the oil companies and every thing is going to be fine and dandy again. Yes, we need a comprehensive energy policy. But a lot of the people on this thread may be in for a shock as to just what such a energy policy will consist of. The days of cheap gas and diesel are over.

topflite51
Explorer
Explorer
traxtermax wrote:
wing_zealot wrote:

Counting on business to make the necessary investment doesn't seem wise because if they don't see profit, they won't invest; not only that, profitability doesn't necessarily solve the energy problem.

It's the government's responsibility to make sure it and its citizens continue to exist -- and it's time they get on the stick.

The government is responsible for not holding things in check or addressing them before disaster hits. Enron was a warning call, then Adelphia and others, adjustable rate mortgages, energy alternatives, etc. They continue to get blind-sided or ignore the problem until it becomes a crisis.

People will change their style of living but the government has to step up to the plate and put political differences aside -- like they did in WWII.
Along the same lines, here is another Jubak article that makes for a good read, whether you like Jubak or not. Of course the article is slanted toward one's future investments in energy, but it is enlightening. ARTICLE. Enjoy
:CDavid
Just rolling along enjoying life
w/F53 Southwind towing a 87 Samurai or 01 Grand Vitara looking to fish
Simply Despicable ๐Ÿ˜›
Any errors are a result of CRS.:s

traxtermax
Explorer
Explorer
wing_zealot wrote:

Counting on business to make the necessary investment doesn't seem wise because if they don't see profit, they won't invest; not only that, profitability doesn't necessarily solve the energy problem.

It's the government's responsibility to make sure it and its citizens continue to exist -- and it's time they get on the stick.

The government is responsible for not holding things in check or addressing them before disaster hits. Enron was a warning call, then Adelphia and others, adjustable rate mortgages, energy alternatives, etc. They continue to get blind-sided or ignore the problem until it becomes a crisis.

People will change their style of living but the government has to step up to the plate and put political differences aside -- like they did in WWII.

topflite51
Explorer
Explorer
wing_zealot wrote:
High oil prices are here to stay. It is readily apparent to me that there are are whole lot of people that believe someone is trying to screw them and the guy in the mirror is not part of the problem. As long as they keep believing its the boogey man, nothing is going to change - except maybe for the worse. Keep dreaming folks, your executive and legislative branch of goverment ain't the answer. Now I have to get back to baking cookies for Santa.
Yes, high oil prices are here to stay. People constantly like to blame others instead of taking personal responsibility for their own actions. They don't see themselves in mirrors, as they never look into them. Around here I can set the cruise at the speed limit on the freeway, and I am still constantly passed by virtually everyone, so I guess diesel and gas are not too high, yet. No, I don't believe conservation will lower the price of fuel, but it will certainly lower the impact on one's pocketbook. Let's just face the facts, all forms of energy are getting more expensive, and will continue to do so. A little conservation, will go a long ways in your pocketbook, all you have to do is look in the mirror. So, try it, you just might be surprised at the results.
:CDavid
Just rolling along enjoying life
w/F53 Southwind towing a 87 Samurai or 01 Grand Vitara looking to fish
Simply Despicable ๐Ÿ˜›
Any errors are a result of CRS.:s

Hurricaner
Explorer
Explorer
120 dollar a barrel oil is not here to stay. The world demand for oil at that price will continue to drop until there is excess supply at which point the bottom will fall out of the oil market. People that believe the world will continue to use more oil at any price are just fools.

Kind of like a California Realtor a few years ago telling me that 15,000 people a month were moving there and that's why there is no end in site to what houses will cost. We all know how that turned out.

Sam
Sam & Kari
Hurricane, Utah

2019 Winnebago Sightseer 33C

eltejano1
Explorer
Explorer
Let's change the direction of the thread a wee bit. What are y'all doing to buy less fuel? Here's what I'm doing - in addition to setting-up our trailer in a permanent campsite.

We are retired and live in the country, 8 miles from town. My wife has a part-time bookeeeping job in the afternoon and goes to town everyday with the little car. I take care of our 22 acres and grow a huge garden. I used to drive my Dodge diesel to town nearly everyday to pick-up stuff at the feed store, tractor dealer, etc - but mostly just to BS with my cronies. I don't go to town anymore. When I need a tractor part, seed, feed or something from the hardware store, I either write a detailed note or call them in advance and my wife picks it up. We are saving significant amounts of fuel that way.

What changes have y'all made to deal with these high prices?

Jack

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
High oil prices are here to stay. It is readily apparent to me that there are are whole lot of people that believe someone is trying to screw them and the guy in the mirror is not part of the problem. As long as they keep believing its the boogey man, nothing is going to change - except maybe for the worse. Keep dreaming folks, your executive and legislative branch of goverment ain't the answer. Now I have to get back to baking cookies for Santa.

Sea_Dog
Explorer
Explorer
Too bad the CEO of GM was not as hopefull as some posters here.

I suppose everyone heard him say during the plant closures announcement this morning that GM has decided that high fuel prices are here to stay.
Life is short,Death is long,
Take a vacation.