cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Insurance

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
My 5th wheel had the drivers side blow off on our trip home from Myrtle Beach. Our insurance denied the claim because it was due to a leak in the front seal. I understand their explanation and could live with that but the entire process has shown me that the customer service was not there.

The first issue is that it took four days and several calls to just get the adjustor to contact me. It then took a week to get him to come out and inspect the damage. He informed me that he was the only adjustor for the entire western half of Pennsylvania.

The adjustor looked at the damage took photos of it and then asked to see inside. He went through my entire 5th wheel from front to back opening doors drawers and other cabinets. He pointed out that my vinyl floor was worn and a drawer was off the track. Everything that was worn on my 12 year old unit was mentioned. He kept taking pictures of everything. He also kept telling us that he spent time in Indiana where most RV's are made and was certified. Never said certified in what just certified. We were told that he would meet with his manager and after reviewing our policy they would do their best for us.

I discussed this with my local agent and although I wasn't optimistic about getting the claim approved I let him know that I was not real happy with the time it took to get a response and also the way this guy talked and carried himself. My agent promised me he would call and discus the claim with him and his manager. That never happened the adjustor called the 1st thing the next morning and denied the claim and told me he knew my agent had called him but he did not have a chance to talk to him. They never did talk. My agent also promised to email me my RV policy so I could see for myself the exclusion that applied to my claim. They emailed me and printed out a copy but none had any exclusions. The online copy also does not have any exclusions. I know that they are there somewhere because the adjustor listed the page number and everything in the denial. No one can seem to produce them for me.

In a follow-up call to my agent I was informed that the company had made cuts in its work force and one of the areas was adjustors. That means the entire state of Pennsylvania has just two or three adjustors to handle specialty vehicles. (RV's, boats, motorcycles, ATV's etc.).My agent also agreed that they were not very good with dealing with the customers and has had other complaints.

I have been with this company for over 12 years and had no issues but then again I had no claims either.

I want to repeat that I accept the claim being denied. My issue is the customer service for the process. Only a few adjustors means a wait and keep in mind the adjustor told me that I had to protect the RV from further damage by keeping it covered or in a garage. I was fortunate my son in law could come over and get it covered for me as I am disabled. After looking at the damage the adjustor put the tarp back on poorly causing me to get my son in law back over that evening in the rain to recover it.

I am having the 5th wheel repaired and should have it back sometime soon. The final straw with the insurance company came this week as well. I was told that I would have to provide proof and photographs that the damage was fixed properly in order to keep my policy in effect. They "suggested" I show a photo showing that the damaged sidewall was removed and also of the new sidewall. The repair shop had already removed the damaged portion and the new sidewall was in place. So not sure what the outcome will be on this.

So now that you know the details I am looking for another insurance company to cover my RV. I am more than willing to have this company handle all of my other insurance needs as well. My current company handles my homeowners, auto, RV and an umbrella policy.

I would like to hear from people who have had to deal with a claim or other issue to find a company that gives the best customer service. If you had asked me about my company prior to this I would have probably recommended them so I really want feedback from those who have really had to deal with their company. I want customer service and treated with some respect if I need help.

I am interested in who you would use and also who to avoid.

Thanks!

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle
16 REPLIES 16

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
You want us to tell you who to use or avoid and you did not tell us which insurance company you had poor service from.
Get my drift?
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
We all are at the mercy of our insurance companies. They will, as you have found, go out of their way to not pay a claim. I would be getting an attorney to go after the insurance company. Perhaps the insurance company is correct in denying your claim but I wouldn't be taking their word for it. Which insurance company are you dealing with so we too can avoid it?
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE