cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rv was totalled by insurance company

Budman1962
Explorer
Explorer
Has any of you had the insurance company total your rv? Mine got hale on two sides but isn't bad. They totaled it and gave me a check for a lot less than it was worth. They let me buy it back for a minimal fee. The problem now is they won't insure it anymore. I called a couple of places and they turned me down as well. Will I be able to insure it anywhere? I know They won't cover the siding but I want insurance for fire and theft.
2000 F250 V10
2006 Aljo 25ft.
1998 Yamaha GP1200
2000 Polaris Genesis
1994 Kawasaki St750
2006 Polaris X2
1986 Honda Magna
41 REPLIES 41

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing any of us can do about it. If it's grosely undervalued, hire an attorney and sue your insurance company. Usually only costs $500-1000, once the paperwork gets filed, that calls their bluff. If you're demanding full replacement value, well, might have an expensive fight. But all this is moot since you accepted the check and probably signed something.

Sorry dude ๐Ÿ˜ž

Do a private party sale on it, let someone else fight with the DMV about the title.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
Can you have the rig reinspected by the state and the Salvage title removed or changed to rebuilt? You could then take it to a state without equivalent rebuilt title status and get a clean title for the rig (this is how the scammers do it for flooded cars). However most insurance companies have access to the data base that shows your VIN has been declared a salvage and will not touch it but you will find one or two that will do it albeit at a much higher rate.
Barring that as you have already been paid the value of the rig (which you agreed too) why would any insurance company pay a second time on the rig?
The value for insurance purposes is zero.
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
In most states there are insurance carriers who will insure vehicles with a salvage title. Just call around or go to several insurance agencies until you find one that will write a policy for you. Should not be that big a deal.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
You were paid once for it being totaled. You can't be paid for it being totaled a second time. Unless possibly if you spent a sufficient amount of money to show it had been restored.

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
This happened with my boat. I bought it back and had it repaired and had a marine surveyor inspect it and give it approval. It's insured OK now. I don't know if this could be done with a RV or not.

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
Just to give you the benefit of the doubt, let's assume the insurance company did indeed significantly under-value the rig. Let's also assume that they rushed to a decision of "totaling" the rig. So let's assume that you were basically treated unfairly.

Considering that a thread about RV insurance pops up on here once every other week, it would be prudent to know who the insurance company is/was.
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

Budman1962
Explorer
Explorer
Had I known they would do this I wouldn't have even told them about the hail.
2000 F250 V10
2006 Aljo 25ft.
1998 Yamaha GP1200
2000 Polaris Genesis
1994 Kawasaki St750
2006 Polaris X2
1986 Honda Magna

Budman1962
Explorer
Explorer
Yes it was hail damage and yes it now has a salvage title. The DMV had to inspect it to get the salvage title. The inspector couldn't believe they totaled it. The hail dents are barely visible and only on two sides. I told the insurance company that it was worth more than they were giving me but they refused and I would have had to get a lawyer.
2000 F250 V10
2006 Aljo 25ft.
1998 Yamaha GP1200
2000 Polaris Genesis
1994 Kawasaki St750
2006 Polaris X2
1986 Honda Magna

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
Budman1962 wrote:
Has any of you had the insurance company total your rv? Mine got hale on two sides but isn't bad. They totaled it and gave me a check for a lot less than it was worth. They let me buy it back for a minimal fee. The problem now is they won't insure it anymore. I called a couple of places and they turned me down as well. Will I be able to insure it anywhere? I know They won't cover the siding but I want insurance for fire and theft.

Since it's been totaled it has no insurable value for either fire or theft so IMO you are SOL ... That's what TOTALED means:R

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
if you accepted a check..
WHY if you were not pleased with it. No need to answer.

liability might be all you could find for trailer. it was Totaled. so has very little value.

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Call your home owners carrier. You may be able to get a rider. You may just be out of luck and have to sell it as a hunting camp or beach camp. Good luck
Puma 30RKSS

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Budman1962 wrote:

Are you talking about Hail damage?
Is the RV now a Salvage Title? Maybe that is why no one will insure it.