cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Satellite DNS Service vs local channels

derh20
Explorer
Explorer
I need clarification please. Most communities broadcast NBC, CBS & ABC on their local channel line-up. Does this mean I do not need to order DNS? Thank you in advance for your help.
8 REPLIES 8

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
edatlanta wrote:
I have DirecTV DNS.

One major benefit of DNS is when you want to use a DVR and you have a list of network programs that you watch on a regular basis. The reason DNS is good in this case is the network channel numbers don't change as you change locations so you don't have to reprogram your DVR every time you move. This is a big factor for me. I just change locations, set up my dish, turn on my DVR and all is good. No further tweaking is needed.

Now I have an RV account. If you have a residential account you will only be able to pick up your local network channels within the spot beam for your area. Unless they have changed their requirements, you can not have DNS with a residential account.

Both of our Dish DVR receivers are capable of recording programs by name rather than channel, along with selecting the usual parameters for new only, HD only, etc. We haven't had to change our settings for the major network shows as we move around and change our locals for several years.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
I have DirecTV DNS.

One major benefit of DNS is when you want to use a DVR and you have a list of network programs that you watch on a regular basis. The reason DNS is good in this case is the network channel numbers don't change as you change locations so you don't have to reprogram your DVR every time you move. This is a big factor for me. I just change locations, set up my dish, turn on my DVR and all is good. No further tweaking is needed.

Now I have an RV account. If you have a residential account you will only be able to pick up your local network channels within the spot beam for your area. Unless they have changed their requirements, you can not have DNS with a residential account.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
We change our service location with Dish as often as daily to get the area local channels via satellite as we move around. It takes about 5 minutes using their online chat system.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
Within 250 miles, plus or minus you Get the locals you get at home. But if you are over that mileage and are staying there long enough to make it worth while you can call and change your service address to that location and get the locals that are available for that area.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
sch911 wrote:
If you plan on receiving ABC, CBS, FOX, etc from the sat dish then you need DNS. Otherwise you can get them OTA (as stated).

Wrong. See this thread.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

nomad_2971
Explorer
Explorer
sch911 wrote:
If you plan on receiving ABC, CBS, FOX, etc from the sat dish then you need DNS. Otherwise you can get them OTA (as stated).

Or, you can just call your satellite TV provider and change your service address for free.

There is no limit on how many times you can do this.

Bruce

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
As long as you can pick up over the air network stations, or the park has cable with local network stations, you do not need DNS. There are some locations that have neither.