cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sealed Wheel Bearing on Demco Kar-Kaddy SS

eieioh
Explorer
Explorer
I have just acquired a model KK460SS. I find in doing basic service, that the wheel bearings are sealed units. Any ideas as to how I can tell if they need replaced? I find no play. But, I also do not know how many miles are on this unit. The manual states they are warranted for three years. The unit is now 7 years old.

Thanks in advance.
13 REPLIES 13

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Rerler32 wrote:
I just broke down today with a bad wheel bearing hub on my Kar Kaddy 3, same sealed hub. My dolly is about 16 months old. I noticed my wheel was tilted out on top and felt the hub and it was very hot. I took the car off and limped it to a trailer repair shop and it took them along time to locate parts to replace the hub bearing. Waiting on shipping in a campground here in New Mexico. I ordered a spare right away just in case, these are not a part you can get easily at your local parts store. I sure wouldn't think I would have needed to replace one this soon.

Very, VERY smart move in ordering up a secondary one. They are wheel bearings and as such, are subject to heavy duty wear and tear. Torque stresses and all, I'd have a dual set handy. To have a few dollars invested in this kind of insurance is CHEAP, compared to sitting around for days, in some place you don't want to be, cause you can't get what you need in an allotted time frame. You may never need them or, you may need one of them next week. Who knows?
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

Rerler32
Explorer
Explorer
I just broke down today with a bad wheel bearing hub on my Kar Kaddy 3, same sealed hub. My dolly is about 16 months old. I noticed my wheel was tilted out on top and felt the hub and it was very hot. I took the car off and limped it to a trailer repair shop and it took them along time to locate parts to replace the hub bearing. Waiting on shipping in a campground here in New Mexico. I ordered a spare right away just in case, these are not a part you can get easily at your local parts store. I sure wouldn't think I would have needed to replace one this soon.

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
jergeod wrote:
RJsfishin wrote:
Their cheap alright. A previous poster has never seen the hefty bearings on a Demco Caddy. They are a big heavy duty sealed unit that are not designed be serviced. And I'd bet they cost a fortune if you had to replace one. That's the ticket here, you never will have to replace them, they are designed lifetime sealed unit. Well maybe submerged in water for a year or 2, you mite want to check them.
Spin the wheels, if no noise, You good to go another 7 (or 20) yrs

Does Demco warrantee these bearings for life?

From the Demco KK260 and KK360 manual:
"Your Demco Kar Kaddy is warranted to be free from defects in materials and workmanship under normal use and service for a period of one year after date of purchase by the original (first) retail owner or until it is resold or transferred by the original owner. New Departure Hyatt Hubs used on the KK260 and KK360 are warranted for a period of three years after the date of purchase by the original (first) retail owner or until resold or transferred by the original owner."

I trust that answers the warranty question.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
If they don't, they should,......and I would !
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

jergeod
Explorer
Explorer
RJsfishin wrote:
Their cheap alright. A previous poster has never seen the hefty bearings on a Demco Caddy. They are a big heavy duty sealed unit that are not designed be serviced. And I'd bet they cost a fortune if you had to replace one. That's the ticket here, you never will have to replace them, they are designed lifetime sealed unit. Well maybe submerged in water for a year or 2, you mite want to check them.

Does Demco warrantee these bearings for life?
George & Jerri
USMC VET
Jayco Eagle 339 flqs
upstate NY

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

eieioh
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all for the thoughts. I'm giving them all consideration. I always amazed at the speed and depth of the responses and knowledge on this forum.

PS to ScottG in Bothell. My mother's parents built the fourth house on then Pontious Road. Now 188th NE.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
VintageRacer wrote:
Those are almost "lifetime" bearings, much the same as wheel bearings on any modern car. Sealed and maintenance free. If you spin the wheel and it is free, no grinding noises or roughness, and there is no play, then they are fine.

Brian

This is what I would do. If they feel and sound fine then your fine.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
IF it were me, I would just replace the bearings. Easier to do in the garage then out in the desert on a bright sunny day.

dbates
Explorer
Explorer
I have over 51,000 miles on my 10 year old KarKaddy SS and the bearing are still doing fine. I'm not sure how many more miles they will hold up but hope for a long time.

Dave
Plus New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island & Nova Scotia

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
eieioh wrote:
I have just acquired a model KK460SS. I find in doing basic service, that the wheel bearings are sealed units. Any ideas as to how I can tell if they need replaced? I find no play. But, I also do not know how many miles are on this unit. The manual states they are warranted for three years. The unit is now 7 years old.

Thanks in advance.

eieioh,
Well Sir, while they're in many cases, supposed to be "lifetime", it doesn't always work out that way. I have replaced many "sealed" bearings on multiple apparatus, including autos, motorcycles, CAT ENGINE SERPENTINE TENSIONER AND IDLER bearings and much more. The first thing you need to remember here is, THEY'RE CHEAP! No matter what they cost, replacing them right now, while you're comfortable, at home, you're own tools, no emergency situations, better working conditions than if you had to do it, while on the road, (road side too), camp site, parking lot, back street, alley, etc. etc. etc.

Now, does it mean they're bad right now, nope, not at all. And, spinning a wheel bearing with a wheel and tire on, can MASK small noises and problems that can be sort of "muffled" or, dampened by the weight of the tire and wheel. On normal (tapered wheel bearings) bearings, obviously you can disassemble the hub, remove and clean all the bearings so that a very close inspection of each of the bearings can be observed for pitting, damage, flat spots etc.

But, you cannot see any of those in a sealed bearing. All you can really do is, remove the bearing from the hub and, spin it in your hands etc. while feeling it's action and, listening to hear if there's any form of issues. Will you find or hear any, well, only you can tell that. We cannot tell you if they're bad or good, based on just because it's a "sealed" bearing. Sealed bearings go bad all over the planet, all day long.

I'm not "dissing" anyone elses answers here. I'm only advising you to be cautious in this instance for a couple of reasons.
One, mainly because you just purchased this dolly and, really have no knowledge of it's treatment or, any real maintenance done on it. Second, you say it's warranty is three years but, it's SEVEN years old? Well, again, if it were me, no matter what they presented on as close of an inspection as you can do, I'd simply replace them.

That way, you will know for sure, just what kind of condition the most important part of that dolly is in without a doubt. Hope maybe some of this info helps. Your choice.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

eieioh
Explorer
Explorer
WOW! That was fast! Thanks Brian!

VintageRacer
Explorer
Explorer
Those are almost "lifetime" bearings, much the same as wheel bearings on any modern car. Sealed and maintenance free. If you spin the wheel and it is free, no grinding noises or roughness, and there is no play, then they are fine.

Brian
2005 F250 Supercab, Powerstroke, 5 speed automatic, 3.73 gears.
20 ft race car hauler, Lola T440 Formula Ford, NTM MK4 Sports Racer
1980 MCI MC-5C highway coach conversion
2004 Travelhawk 8' Truck Camper