cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wheel Bearing Seal?

tntcrock
Explorer
Explorer
Fixing to repack and inspect my wheel bearings? How do I know what seal I need? I've also seen some people refer to a single or double lip. Would like to get the replacement seals before I break a hub down.
12 REPLIES 12

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
tntcrock wrote:
I have a dexter axle. I pulled hub and have 010 036 00 on the seal. What chain auto parts store would be the best to purchase the seal from? I'm assuming they can cross reference that #.
Wish they mark the seal better with the #, that # stamp was tiny! Barley could make it out.

I have always liked NAPA stores for suspension and running gear parts. Most auto parts stores have a wide selection of seals, just take one with you to compare. Industrial supply houses have them too.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
My trailer has an information sheet inside one of my kitchen cabinet doors.

Model numbers of appliances etc.

I added the bearing and seal numbers for future use to this list.

DustyR
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
If you can read the numbers on the axle sticker, you can call the axle maker, Dexter, Lippert, etc. They can tell you what seal it came with, and will send the proper seals to you, if you want.

Jerry

X-2

I did exactly that and had new seals within several days. No guessing or second thoughts about correct fitment.
2016 Open Range 319RLS
Tow Vehicle: 2008 Silverado 2500 HD
Duramax, Allison Transmission.

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
seal
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

tntcrock
Explorer
Explorer
I have a dexter axle. I pulled hub and have 010 036 00 on the seal. What chain auto parts store would be the best to purchase the seal from? I'm assuming they can cross reference that #.
Wish they mark the seal better with the #, that # stamp was tiny! Barley could make it out.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
ScottG wrote:
The double seal lip thing is for EZ lubes. If you don't use that function then you can use the cheaper single design. It will work just as good.

Scott, while that may be true, I have often wondered if that may be the cause of grease intrusion on the brakes, when next owner uses the EZs. There is little difference in cost, single lip/double lip.

Jerry

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
The double seal lip thing is for EZ lubes. If you don't use that function then you can use the cheaper single design. It will work just as good.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
If you can read the numbers on the axle sticker, you can call the axle maker, Dexter, Lippert, etc. They can tell you what seal it came with, and will send the proper seals to you, if you want.

Jerry

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
theres a number on the seal and the bearings. if changing a bearing you should change the race also. and if you,ve never done this >get some one who has to help not a hard job but things MUST BE put in right,

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Bearing maintenance is very easy to do, but you want to make sure you do it right. Be careful getting advice here regarding how to actually repack tbe bearings, ive seen a lot of bad information. Look on line at an actual manual instead. As Hiking said, the seal info will also be in the manual.

Hiking_Hunter
Explorer
Explorer
If it's a Dexter axle, they have a good online chart that will tell you what seal to use. Depends on your axle size, drum size, bolt pattern, etc. Here's the link.

Get the double lip.
Amateur Radio WA4GIY
2015 Montana High Country 305RL
2013 RAM 3500 4x4, crew cab, long bed, 6.7 CTD, Aisin trans.
CGVW 20460 Lbs.