cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Senior Citizens Speak Up

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
A lot of seniors, like me, are living in RVs. If the states and feds close the campgrounds we will be paying higher park rates to stay in crowded private campgrounds that will probably raise rates even more and surely won't be less safe from a health standpoint. I sent a respectful message to the Corps Of Engineers yesterday telling them my opinion. Seniors have clout at the ballot box.
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV
86 REPLIES 86

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
jesseannie wrote:
Lwiddis wrote:
โ€œEspecially those of us on fixed income, with no hope of annual raises.โ€

Your Social Security isnโ€™t fixed. Go back to work if you are in โ€œdire straights.โ€

Widdis you are consistent!
We can ALWAYS count on you for a negative offensive post.

Congrats, again you have not let us down.

Unfortunately we have a few too many members like that on this forum.

jesseannie
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:

Your Social Security isnโ€™t fixed. Go back to work if you are in โ€œdire straights.โ€

Widdis you are consistent!
We can ALWAYS count on you for a negative offensive post.

Congrats, again you have not let us down.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
bpounds wrote:
When approached by a hot woman, a Covid-19 test is recommended.

Now that..... is the best response yet.
I can think of a few other tests too the doctor should run.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

jrobert01
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:

What an ass

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yosemite Sam - couldn't get this to quote your part, or delete once it was wrong - but. We spent 2 yrs in the desert. Paid $150 first time special per month in Yuma, $250 month in Why AZ, $150 mo + elect in New Mexico, $200 mo + elec in Rockport Tx and currently in a park paying $312 mo which includes electric. If you look, there are lower cost parks available -- except in high tourist attraction areas which we avoid. When traveling we use Passport America a lot, and many campgrounds/rv parks are $25 or less per night.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
doxiemom11 wrote:
We find many private parks that have rates less than a state parks. Never use state parks. Instead we go for monthly rates, corp of engineer parks, use passport america, city and county parks. We have been full-time 9 years and our average overnight cost is $9.62 night. We have a seaonally rented site at a county campground with full-hookups for $1,500 from May 1 to Oct 1. Those type of things keep our cost down tremendously. We occasionally stay at a Walmart, but no more than 5-6 nights in a year and don't boondock.

Which part of the country is this?

Out West you'll be lucky to get a campsite at $25 a night -- no hookups.

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
bpounds wrote:

Pre-Covid 19 but bravo!:B

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Deb and Ed M wrote:
bpounds wrote:

ROFL!!!!! This wins the internet today!!!

Humph... Better go with full blood work up instead.

โ€œ Girls you used to know, fellas that may have kissed'em
Some got rabies, some got fleas, some got incurable diseases
From this Cockamamie Businessโ€ โ€”G Harrison

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
bpounds wrote:

ROFL!!!!! This wins the internet today!!!
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
DallasSteve wrote:
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

I remember the story of a hiking friend.

He was in Toulomne fly fishing when a hot woman approached him and engaged him in a talk opening up on how lovely the place is. She asked where he lives and told her he is a Californian and lives 5 hours drive down South. She said she is from a Southern state and added there is nothing like this down there and that he is lucky to be living in California.

Well long story short, he wants to say bye as he is chasing the fish downstream but she won't let go. He must be joking but he said that he got the impression that she would have left her two kids right then and there had he propositioned that he'll take her with him, LOL.:)

Color me skeptical. I find that the fish are always bigger and the women are always "hotter" when the story gets retold.

You may actually know the woman, she is from Texas.;)

And I deliberately did not name the state because I might offend you, LOL :W

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

He was in Toulomne fly fishing when a hot woman approached him and engaged him in a talk opening up on how lovely the place is. She asked where he lives and told her he is a Californian and lives 5 hours drive down South. She said she is from a Southern state and added there is nothing like this down there and that he is lucky to be living in California.

Well long story short, he wants to say bye as he is chasing the fish downstream but she won't let go. He must be joking but he said that he got the impression that she would have left her two kids right then and there had he propositioned that he'll take her with him, LOL.:)

Color me skeptical. I find that the fish are always bigger and the women are always "hotter" when the story gets retold.
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
1duckie4u wrote:
pnichols wrote:
Hmmm ... as usual a lot of CA-bashing going on here ... or is it sour grapes talking!

My DW is a CA native, and I left Michigan at age 19, moved to CA, and never looked back. Thanks to good old Prop 13, our CA property taxes are way lower than what they would be otherwise and way lower than what they would be in many other "better" states (based on tax comments that I read in these forums). In our situation we pay no (as in zero) state income taxes. We have no mosquitoes. Our average humidity never gets anywhere near 80% or higher, and our mild temperatures are legendary. And, FWIW, in our particular situation none of our stick house power or RV storage power comes from burning anything.

California Prop 13 type laws should be passed in every state, IMHO, so that folks could stay in their stick houses long term if they just happened to want to, and be able to, otherwise. Regarding SS - ours and everybody else's does indeed get adjusted upwards any year whenever a certain inflation index dictates - so it's not "fixed".

As for using a Recreational Vehicle for full-time living in, I'm not sure I'm a fan of using national tax or state tax park dollars to support this. What I do support is use of tax dollars to set aside special areas where folks could full-time live at using RVs (areas kept and maintained much, much better than the Slabs) ... such that maybe true recreational part-time RV'ers could find a spot when they are able to break free and take their RV out for a few days here and there.

x2 - I think it's envy disguised as disgust.

1duckie4u
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
Hmmm ... as usual a lot of CA-bashing going on here ... or is it sour grapes talking!

My DW is a CA native, and I left Michigan at age 19, moved to CA, and never looked back. Thanks to good old Prop 13, our CA property taxes are way lower than what they would be otherwise and way lower than what they would be in many other "better" states (based on tax comments that I read in these forums). In our situation we pay no (as in zero) state income taxes. We have no mosquitoes. Our average humidity never gets anywhere near 80% or higher, and our mild temperatures are legendary. And, FWIW, in our particular situation none of our stick house power or RV storage power comes from burning anything.

California Prop 13 type laws should be passed in every state, IMHO, so that folks could stay in their stick houses long term if they just happened to want to, and be able to, otherwise. Regarding SS - ours and everybody else's does indeed get adjusted upwards any year whenever a certain inflation index dictates - so it's not "fixed".

As for using a Recreational Vehicle for full-time living in, I'm not sure I'm a fan of using national tax or state tax park dollars to support this. What I do support is use of tax dollars to set aside special areas where folks could full-time live at using RVs (areas kept and maintained much, much better than the Slabs) ... such that maybe true recreational part-time RV'ers could find a spot when they are able to break free and take their RV out for a few days here and there.

x2 - I think it's envy disguised as disgust.

1duckie4u
Explorer
Explorer
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
Walaby wrote:
DallasSteve wrote:
The plot thickens. The governor of California just issued an order that all Californians must stay home. What if you don't have a home? Or what if your home has wheels? Can you role over to a free state?

If I lived in California and my home had wheels, I woulda been long gone before now.

Mike

As a Californian will tell you, if you are not paying taxes in the state -- and specially if your poor state is being subsidized by their tax money, you have no right to speak about them and it's NOYB!:B

x2