cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Shrinking trim

oldtrojan66
Explorer
Explorer
Wondering what you all do about exterior plastic trim that shrinks? We have a 12yr old JAYCO fifth wheel whose outer trim is exposing some gaps of up to an inch. Must I replace all that and how do I get the correct pieces? I hate to use caulk, cause it usually droops out on vertical surfaces.
2007 Jayco Designer 36RLTS
2006 F350 DRW 6.0 PSD (powerstrokehelp.com)
When you're born, everyone is smiling and you're crying. Live so that when you die everyone else is crying and you're smiling!
7 REPLIES 7

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
If your talking about the plastic trim molding that covers the screws it is easily replaced. I bought a 100 ft roll on ebay and redid my RV.

Sea_Six
Explorer
Explorer
I had trim that was painted to match the rest of my fifth wheel so I didn't want to replace it with unpainted trim.

I took a heat gun and applied heat to the backside (unpainted) while a friend maintained tension on the trim. We stretched it out until it was long enough and then put it back in.

Cost = $0

Looks great.

oldtrojan66
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, then. Thanks for the responses. Most of the stuff you buy that is for โ€œRVโ€ is crazy expensive, thatโ€™s why I asked. Thanks again, n safe travels to all!
2007 Jayco Designer 36RLTS
2006 F350 DRW 6.0 PSD (powerstrokehelp.com)
When you're born, everyone is smiling and you're crying. Live so that when you die everyone else is crying and you're smiling!

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
I spent over $200 on replacement trim insert earlier this year. Some types like the flat stuff is cheap. Other stuff like around my windows is expensive.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Lumpty
Explorer
Explorer
It gets cold, it shrinks. My Class C was built in the heat of July, so the plastic channel trim was installed fully expanded. Deduct 70-80 degrees and it gets considerably shorter, and pulls out of the track at the cabover/wall joint. I could buy new stuff, season the material in the 40 degree range, and install, but for now I'll just deal with it
Rob

Too Many Toys.
- '11 E450 Sunseeker 2300
- '16 F150 Supercrew 5.0/FX4
- '09 C6 Z51
- '15 VW Golf Sportwagen daily driver
- '86 Civic and '87 CRX race cars

Itchey_Feet
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced the trim on our TC several years ago, it comes in a roll and is easy to install. If my memory is correct it comes in two widths so you need to determine the width you need and I think it comes in white and a slightly darker color. Purchased it online. Did a bit of measuring and bought enough to do all the TC. Put the entire roll in a bucket of hot water, dried it as I installed it, compressing it as I went. Hope this helps.
My feet are fine as long as they are traveling.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Replace it, most is cheap. Cut a piece and take it to the dealer or shop.

When replacing, I try to compress it, so it has some room to shrink.
-- Chris Bryant