cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Spring clean up with an RV treated with ZEP.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
For those not familiar with ZEP, it is an acrylic floor treatment that some of us use instead of wax.

I waxed my RV with ZEP several years ago. Every Fall I give it a quick wash and wipe on another coat of ZEP. It has been sitting unused for over a year. Today was unseasonably warm on Long Island so I cleaned the RV getting ready for my first trip in a couple of weeks.

I spent a long time cleaning the dirt and rotten leaves and twigs off of the roof. The RV itself looked totally clean after sitting all winter. There were no streaks or stains. It just took a quick rinse to clean it up looking like new. The water still beads on the surface.
10 REPLIES 10

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
With ZEP I only needed a strong cleaner once. I drove through an unbelievable hatch of bugs at Klamath Lake. They baked on and months later I tried to clean up the mess. I had to scrub the nose of the RV to the point where I just stripped the ZEP in that area and started over. Typically dried on bugs will wash off with regular car wash soap. I would think lysol or vinegar would also work. Dampened anti static dryer sheets also work.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
The active ingredient in many Lysol products is benzalkonium chloride, but the active ingredient in the Lysol "Power and Free" line is hydrogen peroxide.

bumpy

Pheonix87
Explorer
Explorer
I actually make my own floor cleaner with white vinegar and rubbing alcohol. I find it better than store-bought solutions, honestly.

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
Used Zep several years ago. The decals along with the luster had degraded on our 2004 Sandpiper. I used a wallpaper steamer to remove the decals and taped off new ones, sprayed using Krylon spray paint. Then covered with Zep. As you can see, the Zep did good. Recoated about every spring.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
kellem wrote:
Can't say I've heard of Zep.....always use 303 couple times a year on entire exterior, yes roof too.

303 Protectant is a completely different product than the one being discussed in this thread.
Click here to read one of the original posts way back in 2012 of the instructions for using the Red Max Pro or Zep3 to restore the finish of an RV that has deteriorated over the years. There have been many satisfied followers of that post and I will probably do the same to my trailer one day. I already have 3 of 4 gallons of the Red Max Pro that were on sale several years ago. Gave one away to a friend.:)
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Can't say I've heard of Zep.....always use 303 couple times a year on entire exterior, yes roof too.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Zep makes a stripper but a solution of ammonia works great.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
there recently (2,13,20) was an article in the washington post concerning removing mop and glo, an acrylic coating on the floor and recommended lysol, not a bleach. don't know if that was/is similar stuff however.
bumpy

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
That's what I use on,our 96 Southwind, it does a nice job and is easy to apply.
Actually mine is Red Max Pro, I still have some left, a gallon lasts a long time.
RMP is the same as ZEP 3.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nice report. ZEP does a good job. No one ever said it was a once and done (Forever). I used a different floor product and it too did a good job. But you still need to replenish it.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT