cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Stehl dolly (also brakes)

beaubeau
Explorer
Explorer
We have decided that a dolly is the way for us to go. The car we will tow _could_ be towed as a dinghy, but it's an art car and installing the base plates would damage the art -- so we are gonna just get a dolly.

Now ... seems like most of the used ones I can find locally have no brakes.

Is that okay? It's a big RV (35 foot, front engine diesel class A).
And it's a small car - a Volkswagen New Beetle.

Thanks
Chip & Nancy (and our furry pack). 2008 Allegro Open Road Freightliner.
4 REPLIES 4

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Original owners of our Class C towed a Hyundai Crossover Something (Santa Fe?) on a StehlTow with no brakes, all over the country. When we bought the coach, the dolly came with it and I sold it cheap.

IF the axle is flanged (a little square plate just inboard of the wheel spindle on each side, four holes in the plate), shouldn't be hard to buy a brake kit and bolt it on. Hydraulic surge kit requires an Actuator in place of the simple Coupler that attaches to the hitch ball. If Coupler is welded on, then it becomes professional work to change it. Bolted, it's easy. You could also add Electric Brakes by adding a Brake Controller to your Coach and a Breakaway Battery to your Dolly. All easy and relatively inexpensive. A good Welder/Fabricator can add the Flanges to the Axle, too...
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
I made the mistake of selling my Demco Kar Kaddy dolly because it had no brakes. This, after I towed the PT Cruiser from here to Georgia and back on it, with no trouble.
I do wish I had not done that.
It turns out that finding a steerable dolly with brakes, at a price I want to pay, is extremely difficult.
I may wind up with a brakeless dolly again.
Good luck in your search.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

beaubeau
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
JMO but, you've spent money on the RV, the VW and now are going to buy a tow dolly.
Why not spend a little more and get something with brakes? There is no harm in being a little safer.

Good luck with whatever you chose.

Thanks, and good point!
The only real reason would be just to be able to get something quickly, but, no harm in taking it slow and waiting on the right one ๐Ÿ™‚
Chip & Nancy (and our furry pack). 2008 Allegro Open Road Freightliner.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
JMO but, you've spent money on the RV, the VW and now are going to buy a tow dolly.
Why not spend a little more and get something with brakes? There is no harm in being a little safer.

Good luck with whatever you chose.