Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Suburu NOT towable!

ccchuck
Explorer
Explorer
From FMCA site:
" Subaru of America (SOA) has responded to Family Motor Coaching magazine's request that the company clarify its position on flat-towing Subaru vehicles behind motorhomes.

"Moving forward, SOA cannot recommend dinghy towing. Our cars should be flat-bedded."

No further explanation was provided. "
RVing since '74..
11 REPLIES 11

Normph
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2016 Forester, manual transmission. The problem is not the tranny, its the electric steering. My research indicates that the cars can be towed if power is applied to the electric steering control unit via a direct charging line or with the ignition switch on. I found a company that supplies a simple system to resolve the problem; Charge line @ RVI Brake. Check it out and let me know what you think.

Thanx
Norm F

Norm F

Normph
Explorer
Explorer
My 2016 Forester has a manual trans. The restriction on towing is a function of the electric power steering, not the tranny. My research indicates that the car can be towed if power is applied to the power steering control; ie with direct dc connection or with the ignition switch on. I am looking at a system shown on website Charge Line @ RVI Brake .com. Check it out and let me know what you thing.

Thanx
Norm F

Norm F

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Boxer Lovers wrote:
This is a recent reversal from SOA. Previously all manual transmission units were flat table but automatics were not.
I think you are right. I just looked at the Crostreck last week thinking that the manual was towable flat but was informed by the service manager that no Subaru is flat towable.

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
AFAIK, only the manual transmission Subaru has ever been towable. I have towed my 2010 manual transmission Subaru, 4 wheels down ever since it was new.

I believe this year is the first year that the manual transmission Subaru has not been towable. There have been several posts about this and many posters feel this is a CYA thing.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

Boxer_Lovers
Explorer
Explorer
This is a recent reversal from SOA. Previously all manual transmission units were flat table but automatics were not.
Dave, Robin, and Buster the Boxer
2008 Beaver Contessa, 42, Caterpillar 425
Toad 2017 Ram 1500, Quad Cab, Limited, M&G brake, Blue Ox.

DCS7
Explorer
Explorer
We have been flat towing our manual transmission 2013 Subaru Cross Trek since we bought it. We confirmed with the manufacturer through email that it could be done and they assured us it was acceptable.

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
I think the defining factor is whether or not it's an automatic or stick. My automatic is strictly flat tow. It also warns to never let the SMOG station put it on the tread mill, one axle spinning, the other not spinning, or damage will occur. So, even tow truck towing isn't allowed by SOA.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
Has Subaru ever been flat towable? We are on our 2nd Subaru and both had to be 4 up towed. (flatbed).

x2 - nothing new here. My 2006 Outback manual states very clearly flatbed tow only.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

big_jim_2
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a 2011 Outback with a manual transmission that we have towed (per owners manual) about 15,000 trouble free miles. Hookup and go no speed restrictions or running the engine.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Has Subaru ever been flat towable? We are on our 2nd Subaru and both had to be 4 up towed. (flatbed).
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

rightlaneonly
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a new 2017 Legacy and its in the owners manual,needs to be transported on a flatbed, do not tow.
Lee & Jane
Ford died once to often.
Replaced with 2019 GMC Canyon
Aliner, soon to be gone.