cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Super Springs Needed Towing with F-150?

hayesdt
Explorer
Explorer
In 2004, when I bought a Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi 4X4 and a Springdale 28 foot travel trailer (about 6500-6700 loaded), I thought I'd be on the safe side and had Super Springs installed on my truck.

I still have the same travel trailer and recently traded my truck for a new 2014 Ford F-140 Ext. Cab STX, 4X4, 5.0 engine, 3.73 gearing.

Would any of you have any thoughts as to whether I would really need Super Springs (or something comparable) with this new F-150 in order to tow this 6500-6700 lb. travel trailer? (I tow only about 2000 total miles in three trips during two months in the summer, and the the Super Springs on my former truck sure made the truck ride harsher during all the time I wasn't towing anything.) Would they be a necessity with this truck?

And I should mention that while I've not weighed the trailer's actual hitch weight, I don't believe it to be inordinately high by any means, given the trailer's specs, and hitch weight is probably around 1050 at most.

PS. Sorry I have not yet been able to change/update my signature -- keep getting error message when I go to "My Preferences" to update my signature.
DTH
2014 Ford F-150 STX, 4X4, 5.0 engine, 3.73 gearing paired with 2018 Keystone Hideout 202LHSTravel Trailer
7 REPLIES 7

APT
Explorer
Explorer
My opinion is that rear suspension aides mask overloaded rear axles and complicate WDH adjustment for travel trailers. Focus on learning what a WDH does and how to adjust. The rear end of the tow vehicle takes care of itself.

Ford're recommendation for your truck is to return 50% of weight lost on your front axle. Many people with your vintage truck that have weighed their combinations adjusted per Ford's recommendations show close to overloaded rear axle on the truck well under every other rating. I would target 100% front axle weight restoration with a WDH if I had your truck. I was considering a 2011 Ecoboost F-150 prior but we favored the 3-rows of seats instead.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

souraider
Explorer
Explorer
I use Timbrens on my #7500 trailer. It is about #1000 tongue weight. The Timbrens help stiffen it up under load, but don't affect the ride at all when empty.
'17 F350 STX 6.7
'15 Stealth WA2313
'20 Can Am Maverick Sport 1000R

mosseater
Explorer II
Explorer II
Keep an eye on the hitch. Mine started breaking out the shank box running near max TW of 1100. The 150 receivers are like spaghetti when pushed. They "wind up" under load pretty badly. I replaced mine with a DrawTite Ultraframe receiver and life is good. Very good part!
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

eichacsj
Explorer
Explorer
Use them, they don't engage unless you load it that heavy. Besides you may load something else a truck can be used for, may come in handy.
2014 Arctic Fox 30U
2001 Silverado 2500 HD, 4WD
8.1 Vortec / 4.10 gears / ATS Stage 2 Allison Transmission with Co-Pilot
Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Reece Class 5 Hitch with 1700lb bars

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Weight distribution hitch yes but I cannot imagine you will need helper springs unless you are also loading a cord of wood in the bed while towing.

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
Timbren SES may be an option. They don't engage unless you are under load. For day to day driving, it's like they are not there.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wouldn't think so...not with a good WD hitch. If anything I would add airbags with the in cab controls that way you can have the load handling of the airbags and the soft cushy ride when you are not towing.

Don't forget to air up your tires to max PSI when towing. ๐Ÿ˜‰
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~