cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surge Proector on Holiday Rambler

Traveler2019
Explorer
Explorer
We just traded a Class C motorhome for Class A Holiday Rambler Vacationer. With the Class C we always used a Surge Protector when hooking up in campgrounds. The sales person told us we did not need a surge protector with the Holiday Rambler as it is built in, but we would feel better if someone could confirm that. We have much to learn about the Class A. We are considering buying a surge protector just to be safe. THANKS for any help.
22 REPLIES 22

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
downtheroad,

I'd guess that you've had low voltage and didn't know it like most RVers. Unless of course one is staring at a voltmeter when it happens. :S

I know when low voltage has occurred by the HW50C prior error display. When I return to the MH that display alerts me to be more vigilant. If I'm in the rig and the power drops I check the remote display to see what has occurred.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
downtheroad wrote:
5 trailers and 35 years of RVing (2 coast to coast 4 month loops) and such and have never had a surge protector. 90%+ of our camping are in electrical sites.
The only thing I have ever done is check the pedestal for reverse polarity and have yet to even encounter this.
Now, let the surge protector debate begin again.
OK I'll bite. :R

And you might have another 35 years w/o any issues. 🙂 In my 35 years I've had 2 reverse polarity issues (30A sites of course) and numerous low voltage cases. Low voltage is extremely common especially in the summer with the AC's going. I've encountered several 50A sites with low voltage and numerous 30A sites with low voltage.

In 2004 with a new HR and lots of expensive electronics I knew the risk of inadequate protection and installed a HW50C and never looked back. Then in 2005 a site coughed up 160V and I was protected. :B

The same HW50C is in the present MH so 14 years of faithful service. :B

My experience, your mileage varies.

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Surge protection (high short voltage transients) vs power protection (low voltage, reverse polarity, surge, etc) are quite different.

Low voltage is the most common CG problem. The HW50C is the best available and recommended. Open neutral protection is VERY important for 50A rigs.

There are thousands of posts on this board on the above. Start searching and learn. Also post your MH year and model. Plus find out what equipment you have and post that information.

I'm very doubtful that your HR has adequate "surge protection" if any. The typical salesman tells you what you want to hear, in this case you don't need to spend any money on that.

Bob

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the Forum....your first post.

I one of those who are waiting for a catastrophic surge to fry my components....and when it happens I guess I'll have to eat a plate full of crow.

5 trailers and 35 years of RVing (2 coast to coast 4 month loops) and such and have never had a surge protector. 90%+ of our camping are in electrical sites.
The only thing I have ever done is check the pedestal for reverse polarity and have yet to even encounter this.
Now, let the surge protector debate begin again.

(My fork is ready for that plate of crow)
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
“The sales person told us...” Which he/she will deny if you have a claim. What does Holiday say in writing or on their website? Have you looked? If you find it on the website, print it.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Ask what make and model of surge protection is in the unit. Ask to be shown exactly how to use it.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

westom
Explorer
Explorer
Traveler2019 wrote:
We are considering buying a surge protector just to be safe.

Which surge is a concern. Long before any problem is solved, first the problem must be defined. Reverse polarity, high voltage, bad power factor, floating neutral, sag, longitudinal mode transient, blackout, harmonics, and open earth ground are all called surges. No protector protects from all. Which one concerns you?

What protects from this surge protector? https://imgur.com/hwCWHMW

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are surge protetors and there are surge protectors.
First see if you have the manual for one in your manuals packet.
But
The GOOD surge protectors like the Progressive Industries HW-50C
when you first plug in there is a DELAY before power is sent on to the RV depending on the protector it can be 15 seconds (HW default) or just shy of 3 minutes (PT or HW modified) if power is sent through INSTANTLY You have a spike spressor NOT a surge guard (by my definition. I'm a bit more particular) I'd go ahead and use the unit you had. (or add an HW-30/50C)

Note 2 no problem with both a built in and a portable. Just a bit longer delay.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times