cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Switch to Bumper Pull?

Wanderingman
Explorer
Explorer
My knees are starting to give out on me, and so I'm considering selling my Rockwood 5th Wheel, and buying a Bumper Pull. Going up and down the steps from the living room to the bedroom can sometimes be annoying.

The idea of everything on one level is appealing to me.

I had a bumper pull many years ago, but wanted to check with those who have had more years of experience than me before I totally give up on the fifth wheel.

What am I going to miss, or regret if I decide to move to a bumper pull?

Besides everything on one floor, what are the advantages?

Thanks,
Rockwood Signature Ultra Light 5th Wheel 8280WS
2012 F250 PSD
Reese Elite 18K Hitch
Wife: Kathy (not property, but she didn't want to be left out)
2 doxies: PD & Frank
24 REPLIES 24

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
GordonThree wrote:
I love my bumper pull. I don't mess with sway bars or load bars. I just set the trailer on the ball, engage the lock with it's little keeper pin, hook up chains and break-away, and head out camping.

Toughest part is getting lined up right with the ball when backing up ๐Ÿ™‚

Back up camera takes care of that
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
I love my bumper pull. I don't mess with sway bars or load bars. I just set the trailer on the ball, engage the lock with it's little keeper pin, hook up chains and break-away, and head out camping.

Toughest part is getting lined up right with the ball when backing up ๐Ÿ™‚
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

jspringator
Explorer
Explorer
What about a smaller motorhome? Mine is a lot easier to deal with than my TT was. I buy used so the financial hit wasn't that bad. Your truck will probably cover the cost of most of it.
Jim & Sherri
02 Winnebago Sightseer 27c Class A;
"Scout" Springer Spaniel, gone but not forgotten;
"Boo" Chocolate Labradoodle.

tomkaren13
Explorer
Explorer
If I was you,and thinking of downsizing your TV. I would go down to a 3/4 ton. A 1/2 would limit you to a much lighter and/or smaller TT.

Wanderingman
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
I believe you nailed the biggest advantage. In a 5er, everything is up or down stairs. there are even more steps up into the trailer itself.

As for hooking up. Electric tongue jacks make it pretty easy.

Then there is the truck bed. then there is a chance you may not need as large of a TV.

It is really your choice. You know how your knees are. Mine won't take it.

I was thinking about the electric jack and the TV. I thoroughly love my diesel. We went to a diesel truck just months after diesel fuel became more expensive than gas. I'm still waiting for things to change back to the way they were. Anyway, while the mileage is a bit better, I've never really got to enjoy the financial benefit of pulling with a diesel that I had anticipated.

Going back to a half-ton pickup as I approach full retirement sounds appealing.
2012 F250 PSD
Reese Elite 18K Hitch

Wanderingman
Explorer
Explorer
TBammer,

When we moved from the Savoy to the Rockwood, the climb to the bedroom got a little easier. There was one more step, and the steps were not as steep. With the current set up, I have good days and bad ones. Sometimes I need the handrail, sometimes I don't.

Of course, I might not notice the steps that much if I wasn't required to carry our elderly dachshund up and down the steps with me. ๐Ÿ™‚
2012 F250 PSD
Reese Elite 18K Hitch

TBammer
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
I believe you nailed the biggest advantage. In a 5er, everything is up or down stairs. there are even more steps up into the trailer itself.

Then there is the truck bed. then there is a chance you may not need as large of a TV.

Interesting, as I was thinking that I would want a 5er as I got older. So, the hitching up is less on the knees than the stairs into and within the trailer?
2016 Chevy 2500 HD, 6.0 gasser, 4.10 dif
2019 Arctic Fox 25W
Reese Pro-Series WD Hitch

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

TBammer
Explorer
Explorer
The hitch hook up is not going to be easy on your knees. Between hooking up weight distribution bars and safety chains, you might find those stairs with a handrail ain't that bad.
2016 Chevy 2500 HD, 6.0 gasser, 4.10 dif
2019 Arctic Fox 25W
Reese Pro-Series WD Hitch

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
Regaining FULL use of your truck bed.