cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Table Salt in Gray and Black Tanks?????

rondeb
Explorer
Explorer
We are currently staying in a very hard water area. We DO NOT use our Fresh water tank but last year our gray and black tanks got a hard water residue on them and would not register correctly. I got them cleaned up and am hoping to prevent the same thing again from happening.

My question: Has anyone used table salt possibly pool salt directly in the gray and black to keep hard water from forming?

Does anyone see a drawback to this?

Thanks in advance
35 REPLIES 35

I don't use my levels panel. I check it once in a while but it never has worked right in any TT I have had. So I don't bother.

I use the direct detection method.

Fresh water - grab a flashlight and look in the compartment. Very accurate, I can see what is left in the tank.

Black water - turn the pump off, step on the pedal and look down the hole, again with the aid of a flashlight. Deadly accurate, if the soup is close to the neck, time to dump.

Grey water. Shower and wash dishes until I am ankle deep in shower water. Time to dump.

Works for me!!

My indicator panel isn't worth the powder to blow it to bits!
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

rondeb
Explorer
Explorer
ripperoo wrote:
wny_pat wrote:
I don't understand the thought process of some posters. I know that they are different sensor systems on the market and that some of the after market systems work much better. I also know that my 20 year old sensors work just fine. So to say its a waste of time and energy to make them work, or to say you'll know when it is full, well, yep you sure will and it just might be to late.

Yep, I agree. I did a lot of research here when I bought my used and then new trailer. To date sensors work perfectly, and I'm glad they do. Maybe I'm OC, but if it's there, I want it to work properly. It doesn't matter if I can also tell that the gray tank is full when it backs up into the tub. I want my sensor to tell me; and it does.

We have never had a problem with sensors not working in many years until be were stationary in a place that had terrible (I mean terrible hard water) After a few months, they quit working properly and it drove me crazy.

ripperoo
Explorer
Explorer
wny_pat wrote:
I don't understand the thought process of some posters. I know that they are different sensor systems on the market and that some of the after market systems work much better. I also know that my 20 year old sensors work just fine. So to say its a waste of time and energy to make them work, or to say you'll know when it is full, well, yep you sure will and it just might be to late.

Yep, I agree. I did a lot of research here when I bought my used and then new trailer. To date sensors work perfectly, and I'm glad they do. Maybe I'm OC, but if it's there, I want it to work properly. It doesn't matter if I can also tell that the gray tank is full when it backs up into the tub. I want my sensor to tell me; and it does.
2012 Ford F250 Super Duty, SC 4x4 XLT, 6.2L, 3.73 gears
2011 Keystone Sprinter Select 29BH

rondeb
Explorer
Explorer
coolbreeze01 wrote:
The owner's manual for the Komfort recommended rock salt in the black and gray tanks to clean the sensors. Won't hurt anything to try it. Good luck.

Will do Thanks

AO_hitech
Explorer
Explorer
Jayco23FB wrote:
I have a friend who uses Calgon water softener in his black and gray tanks. He says it keeps the tanks clean as there is less residue when you empty the tank. I tried it last year and it seemed to work OK. I know when you mix the product with water it seems to make it more slippery and soap foams up better. Has anyone tried this?

Yup, and my old sensors (1985 MH) work fine.

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
The owner's manual for the Komfort recommended rock salt in the black and gray tanks to clean the sensors. Won't hurt anything to try it. Good luck.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
Surprised My black tank and bathroom grey show F when full and E when empty. Galley tank won't show empty until a day after it is emptied. So some do work.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

Cube58 wrote:
fla-gypsy wrote:
Dog Folks wrote:
sch911 wrote:
Personally I wouldn't spend a dime trying to keep the tank sensors working. They're a lost cause in most RV's. Still it's pretty easy to tell when things are full. I don't need them....

+
X2

X3

x4

x5
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

rondeb
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again everyone. I am the DW and I have to have everything working and in perfect condition. So if they don't work as they should it just bugs me beyond belief LOL. Probably shouldn't let it bother me but I like for everything to work

Thanks again.

Cube58
Explorer
Explorer
fla-gypsy wrote:
Dog Folks wrote:
sch911 wrote:
Personally I wouldn't spend a dime trying to keep the tank sensors working. They're a lost cause in most RV's. Still it's pretty easy to tell when things are full. I don't need them....

+
X2

X3

x4

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
wny_pat wrote:

I am one of those "don't bother", but everyone has a different opinion.

In 7 1/2 years of full time life, it has never been "too late," so it can be done.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€

JEBar
Explorer
Explorer
once I got tire of false tank readings I went through several different after market chemicals, dishwashing liquid and most other thing s already mentioned .... the bottom line, nothing worked .... after hearing about Horst Miracle Probes and doing some research, I installed them in both the camper's black and galley tanks .... the install was simple enough and almost 3 years later, no false readings .... for folks who want a solution to the problem, they are worth considering

Jim
'07 Freightliner Sportchassis
'06 SunnyBrook 34BWKS

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
rondeb wrote:
Has anyone used a product like TSP to keep the hard water our or to clean the gray and the black tanks? I was wondering if you used TSP and filled the tanks half way on our way home, would it keep them cleaned

I used TSP in the black tank once and it did not clean the tank walls enough for the sensors to work right.
I put a box of it in the tank (I don't remember how big the box was) along with about five gallons of water, then drove it for three days. We used the tank in a normal fashion each day and dumped the tank on the 4th day before we headed out.

I have the non-contact sensors on the outside of the tank but enough crud on the tank wall can fool them.
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad