Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Snow!!!

2hams
Explorer
Explorer
Got your attention, didn't it?

Just sitting here getting anxious to go camping and thinking about snow. Although I no longer live in snow country, it made me curious, so I searched for Syracuse NY, where I grew up. Sure enough, the "Salt City" makes the top of the list of 101 cities with >50K population with highest average snow (just under 120" a year). Multiple "winner" of the Golden Snowball Award (competition in upstate NY cities for most snow). One the current top 10 snowiest US cities.

A couple other brief factoids... Syracuse gets more snow, on average than Buffalo -- the latter makes the news since they get snow in fewer larger storms. And, despite what you might think, Syracuse is called the Salt City not for the amount spread on the roads in the winter but rather for the salt deposits. Folks familiar with the area know that the "real" snow is in the Tug Hill area, where snowbanks reach the power lines and there are two garages -- the summer garage by the house and the winter garage down by the road.

That said, we got snow in Virginia Beach this winter, so it must be time to head south!
2019 Grand Design Solitude 310GK
2019 GMC Denali 3500 D/A SRW
19 REPLIES 19

tahiti16
Explorer
Explorer
ol Bombero-JC wrote:
tenbear wrote:
We got about a foot of snow yesterday, and the skiing was great. First good storm this year.

In So.CA we ski about 2hrs away in the local mtns, or 5 hours to the Sierras.
Then back to dry and 60-70 degrees.

Probably not as good as Florida - but where can you snow ski in FL?..:W

Reminds me of the story I told in the Marines when I got flack about CA.

We left in the morning and went up to Castaic lake for boat races. They got blown out so drove further up the hill to Frazier park and played in the snow until we were all cold and wet. Got back into the car and drove back to the beach and went body surfing! So where do YOU live that you can do all that in 1 day? :B:B
Ray, Cheryl & of course Miss Molly the four-legged child

2006 Dolphin 36' F53 V10 5 speed auto 2 slides 7.5 KW genset

2hams
Explorer
Explorer
tenbear - We went to Woods Valley, just up RT 46 outside of Rome. We went to Snow Ridge about once a year, but didn't like how they groomed the slopes. Also went to McCaully Mtn about once a year, and the places south of Syracuse. Once a year folks from RADC (now Rome Labs) scheduled a trip to Gore. Whiteface was a bit too much for me.

edit - also used to snowshoe up in Tug Hill. Lived in West Branch - over the first hill to Tug Hill for ONE winter

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
2hams wrote:
When I lived in Rome NY many of us at work had season tickets to the local ski area about 10 minutes away. Many great memories of a long lunch hour for a couple of runs, a beer and some chili!

Where did you ski? Snow Ridge. I lived in Utica for several years and spent a lot of time at Snow Ridge. Also some at Old Forge (Mcaually Mtn) and Whiteface.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

2hams
Explorer
Explorer
When I lived in Rome NY many of us at work had season tickets to the local ski area about 10 minutes away. Many great memories of a long lunch hour for a couple of runs, a beer and some chili!

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
tenbear wrote:
We got about a foot of snow yesterday, and the skiing was great. First good storm this year.

In So.CA we ski about 2hrs away in the local mtns, or 5 hours to the Sierras.
Then back to dry and 60-70 degrees.

Probably not as good as Florida - but where can you snow ski in FL?..:W

empty_nest
Explorer
Explorer
2hams wrote:

A couple other brief factoids... Syracuse gets more snow, on average than Buffalo -- the latter makes the news since they get snow in fewer larger storms.

Just about 90 mi. south of the Buffalo area and fortunately we don't get the lake-effect snow off Erie but we get our fair share. It's been a brutally cold and snowy winter this year, like the ones I remember when I was a kid. Used to love the stuff then. Not so much, anymore.

Love the summers here and the fishing in New York is second to none, but it's time to start thinking about snowbirding. Just hate the COLD!!
2008 38' Winnebago Adventurer
2012 Jeep Wrangler (Toad)
03 Ranger 520 DVX - 225 hp. Evinrude

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

sleepyT
Explorer
Explorer
I just retired this past September. We could not snowbird this year but we will for sure next winter.!!!!! Got about an inch and a half of ice today and lost about half the limbs from the three maple trees on our property. Also lost our electric, so are spending the night at our daughters. I enjoy the change of season, but I don't like this kind of weather. ๐Ÿ˜ž
ROSIE&TOMMY
2007 GMC 2500HD DURA MAX/ALLISON
2013 CRUISER PATRIOT 305SK

IN GOD WE TRUST
SEMPER FI

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yep we got 11inches yesterday and this morning here in KC! Also the high today was 10. Low in the morning is supposed to be 10 to 15 below with 25-35 below wind chill. Can't wait to be a snowbird!!!!
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

Dar_H
Explorer
Explorer
I have had two failures to launch from upstate NY and will try again on Friday. Although it can be beautiful I am looking forward to sunny Florida.

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer
PAThwacker wrote:
i had recieved a foot plus 3/4 inch of ice ontop today. uggh!

Same here, it sucks

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
i had recieved a foot plus 3/4 inch of ice ontop today. uggh!
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

dverstra
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:

I hate to say it but now that I am in Florida I thoroughly enjoy seeing those coaches and toads pull into town covered with salt! It's a head turner for sure and no guessing where they came from either!

I am SO glad I am not doing THAT anymore where you have to wait and try and dodge the snow storms to snowbird to the south.

Me thinks that you are GLAD to say it versus HATE to say it.:B
Stop Gloating, its cold up here:)
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"

2007 Holiday Rambler Navigator
2013 Honda CRV
Returned Peace Corps Volunteer - Sierra Leone

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
BurbMan wrote:
Drove back from Chicago today and saw a class A DP with FL plates and a nice toad covered in slushy salty mess on I-65 fighting the snow and ice along with the rest of us. I was in 4WD most of the way and was glad I wasn't towing the TT!

I hate to say it but now that I am in Florida I thoroughly enjoy seeing those coaches and toads pull into town covered with salt! It's a head turner for sure and no guessing where they came from either!

I am SO glad I am not doing THAT anymore where you have to wait and try and dodge the snow storms to snowbird to the south.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.