cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Table Salt in Gray and Black Tanks?????

rondeb
Explorer
Explorer
We are currently staying in a very hard water area. We DO NOT use our Fresh water tank but last year our gray and black tanks got a hard water residue on them and would not register correctly. I got them cleaned up and am hoping to prevent the same thing again from happening.

My question: Has anyone used table salt possibly pool salt directly in the gray and black to keep hard water from forming?

Does anyone see a drawback to this?

Thanks in advance
35 REPLIES 35

Shearwater
Explorer
Explorer
Table salt will not affect hardness. It is used to regenerate the ion exchange resins in water softeners but that is a different chemical situation. Diluted vinegar is effective if you let it sit for a long time. A solution of citric acid would be more effective.
Advanced RV Sprinter

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
rondeb wrote:
I got them cleaned up and am hoping to prevent the same thing again from happening.
It's like trying to keep grass from growing.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
Agreed

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
sch911 wrote:
Personally I wouldn't spend a dime trying to keep the tank sensors working. They're a lost cause in most RV's. Still it's pretty easy to tell when things are full. I don't need them....

+
X2
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Personally I wouldn't spend a dime trying to keep the tank sensors working. They're a lost cause in most RV's. Still it's pretty easy to tell when things are full. I don't need them....
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
Incorrect gauge readings were probably not a result of the hard water. Those gauges are notorious for giving bad readings frequently. You could try the Geo method (google it), but you'll still most likely have incorrect gauge readings from time to time, if not constantly.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

“Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard