cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tag Axle Dump

B_s_Bunch
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a tag and a dump switch, Do you think to dump it in sharp turns? I am having trouble remembering to dump mine. I am noticing wear on the outside edges of both tires and am thinking this is why. Any suggestions By the way this is going forward as they dump themselves when in reverse. Larry
Larry,Brenda,Travis,Jarred & MEME the Boston Terror:E TheBunch 2011 American Coach Revolution 42T:C The Double Wide
8 REPLIES 8

B_s_Bunch
Explorer
Explorer
Pretty much what I was thinking as the motorhome is lightly loaded which may contribute to the scuffing. Thanks for the replies. Larry
Larry,Brenda,Travis,Jarred & MEME the Boston Terror:E TheBunch 2011 American Coach Revolution 42T:C The Double Wide

Ziggy_the_BB
Explorer
Explorer
Although your tires are scuffing, you need not worry about it. You will NEVER wear them out before they age out at 7 years (when you *should* replace them).

I have owned liftable and fixed tag axles and the scuffing is very normal. Ever see a greyhound bus raise a tag (you didn't and won't)? In over 500,000 miles driven in many owned motorhomes, I have never rotated or worn out any tires but have thrown many over 7 years old away with plenty of tread. Better safe than have a blow out.
This advise and/or opinion is worth what you paid for it!
Paul

1992 Fleetwood Jamboree
1995 HR class A
2000 Custom Monaco Windsor class A
2003 Blue Bird Wanderlodge WB 43 class A
2016 Forest River Forester 2801 class C
2018 Renegade Verona Super C

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
While driving out on the roads, I have never seen the need to raise my tag. I do most all the time while maneuvering a tight CG or getting in/out of sites.
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

B_s_Bunch
Explorer
Explorer
It only works at low speed under 5mph maybe. Not sure about air pressure but I did have the ride height checked and all was in spec. It is scuffing? the outside of the tread on both sides. Tire pressure is 75 as called for. Just started noticing this the last bath or two. Thanks Larry

Moved from ATC

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
For one sharp turn I do not worry about it... for several I'll turn the raise switch on. How much air are you running in the tag tires? I rotated my tag tires to the front at 40K miles and there was not any uneven wear.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Medico
Explorer II
Explorer II
The dump is generally used for very low speed sharp turns. This would not be turns from one street to another, etc. I also do not notice this wear on my tag. You might want to check to see if perhaps the wheels are not mounted correctly, or perhaps the lug nuts were not correctly tightened.
GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655, FMCA #F431170

2006 Country Coach Magna, 2012 Jeep Liberty

mockturtle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our first RV had a tag axle and we had no problem with uneven tire wear.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8