cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Thinking of doing it but would like more info

Hokie_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sick of the rat race and have been thinking of selling everything and buying a used Class C and leaving.

I've done a lot of homework, but I'd like to know as a single guy in my late 40s could I make enough workamping to cover food, gas, and a little bit to take care of repairs, and such. It seems couples can make it work. But not much is said about singles.

Basically once I sell everything I'd have my camper, a trailer with my Harley, some tools, and a few things I'd want to keep. I'd probably have a little cash but not much as I've lost all of my savings in a business failure.

I'm highly educated, have lots of skill at fixing things, and such.

So if I do this I need to make sure that I can make enough to get by. Right now I just need to know what others KNOW not think!
17 REPLIES 17

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hokie,

Spend some time on the Escapees web pages. Lots of good info on what it costs to RV full time by those doing it. I suspect there is 'work camping' and then there is 'working from your camper' using a computer, etc. Some are doing the latter and making sufficient funds for the RV lifestyle. Maybe combining both types will give you enough free camping places and income to enjoy the non rat race lifestyle.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

I_am_still_wayn
Explorer
Explorer
As far a a single and workamping, I did it as a single for manyyears, but I had an income. I do not think that you can make enough money to support your self, maintain a vehicle, and buy necessary insurance.

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
As a young (55) retiree, let me tell you that you definitely need to think about health insurance. It is EXPENSIVE! and it is something that you definitely need and will be needing more, the older you get.

I don't have any idea about a single guy workamping, but I am sure it is something that can be done.

I hope you find something that works for you.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW