Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

tire pressure montior systems

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for suggestions for a reliable tire pressure monitor system

hpk
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel
16 REPLIES 16

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
fj12ryder wrote:
Bobbo wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Bobbo wrote:
I don't mind waiting an hour to learn the battery has died in my TPMS sensor.

As long as it alarms quickly on pressure loss or heat buildup.
If you lose contact with the sensor you'll have no idea whether you have pressure loss or heat buildup. You can lose contact with the sensor just driving down the road if you have a long unit, and you'll have no idea until the monitor alerts you that you've lost contact. That can take an hour or more. During that hour you can blow a tire or have pressure loss and not know it.

I like my TST but I think this time lag issue should be fixed.

That is 2 failures at the same time. A highly improbable occurrence. I will risk it without losing any sleep.

By the same token, If you have a circuit breaker in your house fail and lock closed, and at the same time have a dead short in the wire, you can have a house fire. Is that a design flaw?

You have too much time on your hands.
I don't think you understand what I'm typing. No failure anywhere, just the way the system is designed to work.

If your monitor loses contact with a tire sensor, which is more likely if you have a long trailer, you won't know about it for around an hour. During that hour you will not know if your tire loses air, runs hot, or goes completely flat. The monitor will show the last temperature/pressure that it received, which could be an hour old. That is the way the TST system works.

Yes. I understand. And it does not bother me.

Have a nice day.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bobbo wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Bobbo wrote:

If you lose contact with the sensor you'll have no idea whether you have pressure loss or heat buildup. You can lose contact with the sensor just driving down the road if you have a long unit, and you'll have no idea until the monitor alerts you that you've lost contact. That can take an hour or more. During that hour you can blow a tire or have pressure loss and not know it.

That is 2 failures at the same time. A highly improbable occurrence. I will risk it without losing any sleep.

By the same token, If you have a circuit breaker in your house fail and lock closed, and at the same time have a dead short in the wire, you can have a house fire. Is that a design flaw?

I don't think you understand what I'm typing. No failure anywhere, just the way the system is designed to work.

If your monitor loses contact with a tire sensor, which is more likely if you have a long trailer, you won't know about it for around an hour. During that hour you will not know if your tire loses air, runs hot, or goes completely flat. The monitor will show the last temperature/pressure that it received, which could be an hour old. That is the way the TST system works.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
fj12ryder wrote:
Bobbo wrote:

Bobbo and Lin

JohnG3
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
JohnG3 wrote:
So it sounds like walking away from the sensors with the monitor in your pocket without turning it off and attributing an hours delay in signaling a warning and attributing it to a design or system flaw instead of operator error.
You're missing a critical issue: the same hour delay occurs when you're driving down the road and the monitor loses contact with one or more of the sensors. It can take an hour or more after the monitor loses contact for it to alert you to this fact.

That's a design or system flaw, not operator error.

Reading the manual ours says the unit will go into sleep mode if there is no activity for 15 minutes. Then defines no activity as motor not running and there is nothing or no one moving about. That would pretty much cover parking.
John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have had the Pressure Pro system for 7+ years with only 1 sensor failure. Works well on the three vehicles in my "train" (double tow).

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
I should have worded it which TPMS do you have and what you like don't like about it instead of suggestions
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bobbo wrote:

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II

Bobbo and Lin

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
JohnG3 wrote:
So it sounds like walking away from the sensors with the monitor in your pocket without turning it off and attributing an hours delay in signaling a warning and attributing it to a design or system flaw instead of operator error.
You're missing a critical issue: the same hour delay occurs when you're driving down the road and the monitor loses contact with one or more of the sensors. It can take an hour or more after the monitor loses contact for it to alert you to this fact.

That's a design or system flaw, not operator error.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

JohnG3
Explorer
Explorer

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
JohnG3 wrote:
Just read 2oldman's link. Just bought and have not yet installed a TireMinder A1A TPMS. This system has a procedure that allows you to "disconnect" monitoring one set of sensors. The example given is you drop the trailer and take the tow vehicle to town. No alarms until you return and reconnect the trailer sensors. Not sure what happens when one would just walk away from either with the monitor in your pocket. Does the TST system address this issue on their manual?

With our TST 507 system, all it takes is a 3 second press on two buttons to disable the toad monitoring when we're not towing. Repeating the process brings it back.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you walk away from the TST system with the monitor in your pocket it will be about an hour or so before the alarm sounds. It takes that long for the system to realize it has lost contact with the tire sensors.

I'm pretty sure there is an option to disable individual sensors for a scenario such as you describe, but I don't have my manual handy so I hesitate to state it positively.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

JohnG3
Explorer
Explorer
Just read 2oldman's link. Just bought and have not yet installed a TireMinder A1A TPMS. This system has a procedure that allows you to "disconnect" monitoring one set of sensors. The example given is you drop the trailer and take the tow vehicle to town. No alarms until you return and reconnect the trailer sensors. Not sure what happens when one would just walk away from either with the monitor in your pocket. Does the TST system address this issue on their manual?

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
or just click the link I provided.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman