cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Toad: '08 Jeep Wrangler X

einstein2nd
Explorer
Explorer
Steering wheel lock & tail/turn/brake lights while towing is currently under works.

I have an idea on how to bypass the steering wheel lock with little to no labor. A simple insertion of such a device will keep the integrity of the locking mechanism but blocks it from ever locking.

As for the tail/turn/brake lights on toad I have designed a flawless way of using the vehicles taillights without having to disconnect the battery or pulling a fuse. The device allows one to disconnect the towed vehicles' taillights to be utilized while being towed. Then after the vehicle is done being towed all the driver has to do is start it up and the switch deactivates. This device is designed for inside/outside use; the device is waterproof.

I am currently designing a DIYer's kit where anyone who is mechanically inclinded can install either device: steering wheel locking blocker and or the tail/turn/brake light bypass switch mechanism.

I am here doing a market research on how much would the demand be for these devices.

Please give me your opinions on how demanding these would be.

Thank you.
4 REPLIES 4

einstein2nd
Explorer
Explorer
Okay understood, thank you all for your comments and advice. You may be right about a market not being there.

The anti-locking steering wheel device costs $2 to $10. No tearing apart the steering wheel column either. Though this is still under construction. With this device you won't have to keep your keys in the ignition.

The light assembly costs about $20. Once you connect the RV the device auto disconnects your vehicle's harness from the tail lights and allows the RV to power them. Once you disconnect the RV the harness is automatically reconnected. It requires splicing 8 wires and running a 20 foot 4 pin plug to the front of the vehicle. The kit comes with waterproof crimp-on butt splices. You won't have to disconnect your dinghy's battery or pull any fuses.

I am currently working on a brake assist that will cost less than $100 but still researching.

my996duc1
Explorer
Explorer
My 2005 LJ is flat towed with leaving the key in the ignition and turned to the first click. This leaves everything shut off and the ignition unlocked.

For tow lights I went with a plug and play harness from E-Trailer.
Works flawlessly and plugged in with zero splicing or switches to flip.

Flat towing is stupid simple with my Jeep.

_
2007 Coachmen Cross Country 354MBS
2005 LJ Rubicon Sahara

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
einstein2nd wrote:
Steering wheel lock & tail/turn/brake lights while towing is currently under works.

I have an idea on how to bypass the steering wheel lock with little to no labor. A simple insertion of such a device will keep the integrity of the locking mechanism but blocks it from ever locking.

As for the tail/turn/brake lights on toad I have designed a flawless way of using the vehicles taillights without having to disconnect the battery or pulling a fuse. The device allows one to disconnect the towed vehicles' taillights to be utilized while being towed. Then after the vehicle is done being towed all the driver has to do is start it up and the switch deactivates. This device is designed for inside/outside use; the device is waterproof.

I am currently designing a DIYer's kit where anyone who is mechanically inclinded can install either device: steering wheel locking blocker and or the tail/turn/brake light bypass switch mechanism.

I am here doing a market research on how much would the demand be for these devices.

Please give me your opinions on how demanding these would be.

Thank you.

Hard to say with heavy competition from COOLTECH'S plug and play harness for the Wrangler JK series. Price might be a contributing factor, however and with the pre JK series Wrangler as well that isn't available as such.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
steering wheel lock: Leaving the key in the ignition, with the switch in the "OFF, Not Locked" position does the job nicely. I would not spend any money for any other gimmick. Of course, my Jeep is a 2006, and later models don't have that switch position. There might be a market. Of course, even LATER models don't have a steering lock at all, so perhaps not...

Lighting: I can do the same thing, although without the automatic feature, with a four pin trailer connector (currently used on my Rubicon) or a DPDT ON-ON or ON-OFF-ON switch (about $4 on eBay, previously used on a Datsun pickup). Over the years, I have developed an extreme distrust of over-engineered solutions to simple problems. I doubt if I would buy the system described.
just my opinions, no doubt others would disagree.
Good luck.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"