cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Total or partial cover

csjag1
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure is this if the right place for this topic, but here it is.

We purchased a GD 315RLST in February of this year. By the time we took delivery, winter was pretty much over (not too much in the south, anyway) and we did not do anything pertaining to covering.

In looking forward to this winter, we will be obtaining a cover this fall before winterizing it for the winter. We have looked at full covers from several makers and also at a roof-only cover from ADCO.The roof-only cover is about 1/3rd the cost of a full cover and should be easier to put on. Here in the south (Memphis area) we do not get much snow, only some cold temps and occasion sleet.

Anyone have any ideas as to which way to go as far as getting a cover is concerned? The cost is not an issue - we just hate to buy more than we need, but will if necessary.
7 REPLIES 7

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
We are having another RV shed built after a year & half it sitting on a rented year round spot at Lake Fork. We sold our business which on the property w e had a 20x40x14 .
Decided to move it to some land we own & now in process of having a 20x45x15 shed with a5ft apron around three sides . Concrete done just waiting on the welder.
I just don't like the canvas type pull on covers , but no matter they do look better after several years with some type of cover.

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
Where's my popcorn? Lol. But seriously, to me, i would rather have a slightly faded graphic than a wet, rotting RV... It isnt a question of IF water will get in, but rather WHEN water will get in... Cover the RV ! Water WILL find a way
Proud father of a US Marine

BadgerMcAdams
Explorer
Explorer
One thing (as mentioned) is fade. Remember the big fad of buying 'bras' for the front of your car? They protected from road debris causing chips, protected the finish, etc...The problem later, removing the bra and finding that your car was now a two tone model. The area protected by the bra, No fade, everywhere else, faded (even white cars can change slightly).

A partial cover that comes down only 1/3 the way can cause the same effect (depending on your location and sun intensity - less up north, more down south).

Just some more fuel for the debate...carry on. ๐Ÿ˜‰

csjag1
Explorer
Explorer
Good idea, Cobra21. You're right in that a roof-only cover would cover the most important parts and be MUCH easier to put on and take off. We're kind of leaning toward the roof cover at this point, but will look at the other option when it gets closer to making a final decision.

Appreciate your input.

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
I think the roof is the most important part to cover. Keeps water from seeping in a possible void around roof vents, air conditioning, etc. A lot of people
don't monitor their RV while it's parked for months only to see a leak that was
happening during storage season. A bonus besides the price is it will be much
lighter and smaller to put on than the full size cover. I myself have a full size cover in Minnesota, but we only have a 21' motorhome. I can hardly imagine
a full size cover for anything larger.
Brian

keymastr
Explorer
Explorer
I worry more about UV rays than rain or snow. Sun fade looks terrible. I make sure my seems are good so not worried about water intrusion.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
What about UV damage? My TT never sees snow at home base. It's covered for sun protection.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad