cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tow Dolly Recomendations

JayBuchanan
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to see if there are tow dolly that are recommended by the groups. I will be using my 2011 Class C (F450 chassis) to tow either my 2014 Ford Explorer or 2009 VW Jetta.

In your opinion, is electric brakes needed? I will be towing mainly in NM, TX, and surronding areas. I am also looking for a tow dolly that will accept the 17" rims on the VW and the 20" rims on the Explorer.

Thank you in advance!
Jay Buchanan
jbuchanan63@icloud.com
5 REPLIES 5

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
The Demco kar kaddy is the Cadillac of car dollies for sure. Find a used one and the price will be good too. I sold mine about a month ago.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
Bought a Master Tow with surge brakes about a month and a half ago for my RAV4 fwd with 17" wheels and have put about 1000 miles on it. So far, no problems and works great. Would recommend.

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad

dbates
Explorer
Explorer
I can't speak to what toads can or cannot be towed on a dolly but I've been very happy with my Demco Karkaddy SS dolly for the past 11 years. It's fully galvanized so you never have to worry about rust, has surge brakes so any vehicle can pull it safely without having to install a brake controller, its ramps fold up and the tongue folds back to reduce home storage by almost 50%, it has rack & pinion swivel system rather than swiveling wheel plate and Demco is very receptive to answering questions if needed. It may cost a little more but I've felt it was worth it.

Dave
Plus New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island & Nova Scotia

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Can't the 2014 Explorer be dolly towed if it's front wheel drive?
The OP didn't specify if his is front or all wheel drive.

Grandpere
Explorer
Explorer
First off the explorer cannot be towed on a tow dolly. You need to install a transmission pump and tow it 4 down or put it on a trailer (which is more weight than your F450 chassis can handle). The Jetta will be fine on a tow dolly, and yes the dolly must have either electric or surge brakes, it is the law.

Ours is a Master tow dolly, we are the 3rd owners of it, and it is still in great working order. I just put new tires on it. We use it to tow our 2003 Kia Sedona.

Wheel size will determine what straps you will use, the dolly itself does not care what size the wheels are. The dealer where you purchase the dolly from will have the correct size straps for your need.
Berniece & Russell Johnson
Lil'Bit, a Netherland Dwarf Rabbit
1987 Southwind
1995 Ford F150 Supercab

Life in the fast lane? No thanks, we will stop and smell the flowers at every opportuity